Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Supercoupe short block + mustang heads/Intake

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Jason Williams, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Jason Williams

Jason Williams New Member

Hi, I’m new here so bare with me. I have a 2000 v6 mustang that is not running atm :( there was a stock 3.8 that I turbo’d with a 58mm precision and 38 eBay external wastegate. With t5 5 spd.

But anyways I want more power. And I keep hearing I can put a pair of split port heads on the SC SB. And use the mustang upper and Lower Intake.

Is there anything that I would have to fab to interchange all of that and how difficult would it be to drop the sc motor in my mustang? With the stang heads and intake of course w/ the same turbo setup.. would it be hard?
    Would it be worth the labor?
    Anything that I would have to change or fab?
    Thank you in advance! :)

2. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

My wife's 99 mustang had a bad rod knock. I had a spare SC engine so I stripped it down to the short block and swapped the heads/intake/exhaust from her 99 motor onto the SC short block. I used the SC flex plate and used a 01-04 3.8 harmonic balancer as the SC rotating assy is internally balanced.

It's all pretty much a direct replacement. Nothing that I can think of needs to be modified to work. Pretty straightforward.

Since it was basically a stock setup, I noticed a drop in torque below 3k rpm due to the lower compression ratio of the SC pistons. Above 3k rpm it wasnt that noticable but it's a v6 and the sc block was a convenient spare to get it back on the road.

3. Jason Williams

You didn’t have to change sensors from block??

4. fasterthanyou

I apologize, i totally forgot to mention the timing cover needs to be transferred from the mustang engine to the SC engine.

Yes you will need take the crank, cam and oil pressure sensor from your mustang engine and transfer them to the SC engine.

Jason Williams likes this.
  5. douglass

douglass Active Member

So to make sure I understand, your goal is to use a SC block, pistons, rods, crank, with the 00 mustang heads with the intention of adding a turbo? If so you should be able to use either timing covers, however I would suggest using the Timing cover/water pump from the mustang. The cooling ports are a little different between the mustang heads, and sc block, but no modification should need to be done to make it work. You will probably need to use the SC head bolts for the year of the block, and I think it is a toss up for the head gaskets. If you use the MLS mustang head gaskets, make sure the block surface is with in spec to the mustang or you may have leaks.

The last thing to be aware of that the SC engine ins internally balanced, and I think the 00 is externally balanced (something to verify).

Jason Williams likes this.
  6. Jason Williams

Awesome! Thanks for the Info

7. fasterthanyou

It depends on what year the SC engine is. If it's a 94/95 you can use the SC timing cover. If it's 89-93 you will need to use the mustang timing cover. you can bolt a mustang water pump onto the 94/95 SC timing cover. The SC water pump is different because the heater line outlet is in a different location in the SC water pump. (Edit) : the sc and mustang water pump pulleys are different, aside from the overall width of the belt surface area, the bolt holes need to be slightly redrilled for the pulleys to interchange with each other . I think the SC pulley has one bolt slightly offset from the rest. (Just more useless 3.8 information stored in my head)

For the head gaskets i used 2001 MLS gaskets on the SC block. It really doesn't matter which year but only the newer years have MLS gaskets (from what i was able to find at the time)

For head bolts I needed to use 2 sets and combine them. I may be dyslexic on this but I think I used split port head bolts for the longer bolts and SC bolts for the shorter bolts. The thread depth is different in the SC block. I know for sure that I needed to combine the 2 sets of head bolts to make it work. Either way you'll have the bolts you need whether the long ones need to be split port bolts or SC bolts.

8. Jason Williams

Great! I have an 91’ sc engine.
    Another question is.. do you know if the oil pans are the same?? When I turbo’d the mustang engine I had to fab for oil drain on oil pan and I’m just trying to save the work and switch oil pans!

9. fasterthanyou

The oil pans are slightly different but are interchangeable. You can keep the SC oil pan on the SC engine if you want.

10. Jason Williams

Well the only reason I’m considering changing oil pans because the mustang one is already fab for oil drain. Just saving the work

11. fasterthanyou

The mustang pan will work