Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

suspension opinions wanted

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by dave2000, Jun 2, 2017.

1. dave2000

dave2000 Member

Hey everybody, a while back I redid the suspension on my 04. I did it somewhat on the cheap because I needed to save money for other modifications. Right now I have KYB agx's front and back on a mild setting with stock springs (feel like that was a bad decision lol) hotchkis rear lower control arms and polly bushings in my front control arms, strut mounts, sway bar mounts and links. The car handles okay but doesn't feel grounded enough in high speed corners. and sometimes coming through rough braking zones even though it's not lowered i get some bump steer. (my guess is the factory springs are collapsing too much under heavy braking)

My real question is what are you guys running? ultimately I want to go with coilovers and add a rear sway bar. anyone running the QA1 coilovers out there? Should I consider adding a panhard bar also?

2. douglass

douglass Active Member

What are your plans with the car, and what are you trying to accomplish? I have the AGX in the front, on setting four with a coilover 350lb spring, and I really like it.

Spdricer likes this.
  3. dave2000

dave2000 Member

It's a street car, something i drive hard everyday. What coil over kit do you run? Is your car stock other wise?

4. douglass

douglass Active Member

In the front I have the stock lower control arms with Del-A-Lum forward offset busings with Steeda X2 ball joints, steeda bump steer kit, kyb agx strut with a generic coil over kit equipped with the hypercoil 350 lb spring, and maximum motorsports camber/caster plate. I would suggest the mm plates due to the added 4th bolt for both plates. Don't cheap out on this part, as all the weight is now on the plates. In the rear I have the mm rear coil over kit with bilstein shocks with a hypercoil 200-250lb spring( I can't remember), mm panhard bar, and lastly the eibach swaybar kit. The car handles solid, the del a lum bushings take the deflection away, and add caster with improved steering response. The panhard will help with on power turn exit, as well as a more solid feel.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/str-s6001/overview/make/ford/model/mustang - need two
    https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=1076rd
    https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=steeda x2
    Mustang Caster Camber Plates, 1994-2004
    Front 2.5" ID springs - will need two springs
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sda-555-8104/applications
    Panhard Bar, 1999-2004 solid-axle equipped Mustang
    MM Shock, Monotube, solid axle Mustang, 1979-2004 - need two
    Standard Coil-over/Upper Shock Mount kit, Yellow Series shock (fits ONE shock) - need 2
    Rear 2.25" ID springs - need two
    Eibach Mustang Anti-Roll Sway Bar Kit Front & Rear (94-04) 3518.320

5. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

I suggest not combining a pan hard bar with the oem 4 link. Consider a poor mans 3 link of a torque arm setup is out of budget.

6. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

Agree 100%. The OEM 4 link system will not need a panhard bar at all.

The first suspension mod I would suggest is welded on sub frame connectors which stiffen the frame twisting significantly. My preference is Steeda's which also comes with torque box stiffeners. There are other companies which sell them. Steeda's are rectangular, first bolt up under the front seat bolts, and can be welded up at any good muffler shop in about 10-15 minutes.

7. douglass

douglass Active Member

I did forget to mention that. I do have sub frame connectors, and the brand I use is Maximum Motorsports. I have installed them into two of my mustangs, they fit great, and are top notch in quality.

As 6shooter sugested this would be a nice addition to the car. If you decide on a weld in style connector, most muffler shops can install them if needed.

I will say this with the pan hard bar. For street driving you will not notice much difference unless you are driving in areas where you can push the car hard though corners. It made a huge difference on the track. It was a very noticable addition. I do have stock four link, and plan on upgradeing the rear lower control arms to the MM heavy duty units. Keep in mind that I road course this car, and some of the upgrades I listed may not be as benifical or cost effective for daily driving.

Douglass

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  8. douglass

douglass Active Member

If you wanted to keep things more cost effective you could look at the Steeda sport springs, Eibach pro kit, or H & R Race springs (might need to upgrade the struts & shocks), and add the Eibach sway bar kit. The sway bar will stiffen up your corning. Also, you could set the dampener settings to max (firm). This will help slow down weight transfer. i just re-did the suspension on my 98 GT. I used the Steeda Sport springs, and the Koni Sport (orange) shocks and struts. I would have used the KYB, but I got a great deal on the Koni's.

H&R Mustang Race Springs (79-04) 5165088 - LMR.com
    Steeda Mustang Sport Lowering Spring Kit (79-04) 555-8200
    Eibach Mustang 4Cyl And V6 Pro-Kit Lowering Spring Kit (79-04) 3518.140
    Eibach Mustang Anti-Roll Sway Bar Kit Front & Rear (94-04) 3518.320

9. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

1. Tires, 200 tw
    2. Subframe connectors, XL, with seat braces
    3. 35mm front sway bar - or - 30mm bar from sn95 gt
    4. Oem rear sway bar from a gt
    5. R&R all worm bushings and linkages

After that you should consider long term SRA vs IRS.