Suspension or front brake upgrade?

speeddemon11L

The Double Deuce
I've got a bit of a dilemna. I would like to upgrade my front brakes with the cobra caliper set that speedconcepts.com sells. I would also like to put on springs, shocks, and struts. I only have the money to do one or the other and this will be the last mod I can afford until around September.

I guess I would just like to know which you would do and more importantly, WHY you would do it. I don't have any first hand experience with this stuff on a street car so it is kind of hard for me to justify one over the other. Any help would be appreciated. :)

nikko

Admin Emeritus
99+ brakes are actually quite good. There's no valid performance reason to upgrade them on a street car, other than looks.

Springs/shocks/struts are a good investment because not only will you get better looks out of the package, you'll get better performance also. That would be my choice without hesitation.

Flipkev

1/2 Filipino All American
The only needed mod for our front stock brakes is Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Russell makes a great, cheap set which I can vouch for. Our stock setup is pretty effective, dual pistons with vented rotors in front and single piston solid rotors in the back are good even with heavy 18's.

The only reason I upgraded to Cobra fronts and powerslot all around was for looks, I hated seeing my tiny rotors in my 18's, blah!

I'd go with suspension first to get rid of the 4x4 look and attempt to fix the fact our stock suspension handles like a fat girl on rollerblades :crazy:

94GTStang

One food stamp at a time
Yea, I vote for suspension. You got pretty good brakes right now.

I'm going to upgrade to 99+ brakes on my 94GT to get rid of the horrible single pistons.