Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Synthetic oil

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Gurdy, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Gurdy

Gurdy New Member

Anybody switch from conv. oil to synthetic with good results?

2. HumanSVD

HumanSVD Member

I went from conventional, to semi syn, then to full syn with no problems.

A semi syn is a much better improvement. Full is even better. Both are much better for your car.

They can handle extreme temperatures better, they flow better, they have better anti wear additives.

I wouldn't bother with conventional oil.

Pick whatever is on sale, use a good oil filter, and more importantly, change 3 to 5k. Don't let anyone peddle the long life change interval nonsense.

Walmart is your friend.

Elvis likes this.
  3. sabin

sabin New Member

One of the best full synthetic oil that is out there is Red Line. That oil would be paired with a Royal Purple oil filter (one of the best along AMS Oil one). These are not the cheapest, but worth if you plan on keeping your car for years to come.

4. HumanSVD

HumanSVD Member

Not the cheapest but if you run your car hard, those are great for sure and worth every penny.

I change mine very frequently 3 to 5k. I'll use kendall gt1, motorcraft, or even Supertech. They all work fine for me.

5. Sam36

Sam36 Active Member

Depends on what you mean by better. I ran dino and changed every 3k miles for 200k miles. But then I started mainly working from home so instead of putting 1k miles on my car every month, it was more like 5k per year. Dino is 3k miles or 3 months... I didn't want to change my oil every 3 months when I'm not even driving it. So switched to Mobile 1 extended performance and started changing once a year. One thing I noticed was I started leaking more oil than I'd like somewhere either on the valve cover or on the lower intake, or maybe head gasket. But when I'd do my yearly oil change, there'd be a good layer of oil on the bottom end. Not enough to drip in the driveway, but still. Synthetic is "thinner" and flows better. I've heard others complain of more oil leaks when switching but it could just be a coincidence. So what I do now is 4 quarts of 10w-30 extended performance (which is what I always used), but I add 1 quart of mobile 1 15w-50 to thicken it up. Though not sure if it helped with the leaks, but it did shut up valve rattles on startup. Changed the valve cover gasket too, but still getting oil down the backside of the motor. For now I just deal with it one month before my yearly oil change, I soak it down in de-greaser and wash it off :rolleyes: