Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

tail light lens removal?

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Appearance & Entertainment' started by 93pony, Jan 17, 2013.

1. 93pony

93pony Active Member

Hello all, I finally got a set of 99 cobra tails. There is one problem, the drivers side had moisture in it af one point and the chrome is gone inside. Does anyone have a tried and true method on how to remove the lens? I'm going to remove the lens from a stock red light and dremal the bulb hole out and and replace it with the cobra lens. I have read that baking does not work, so any other ideas would greatly be appreciated.

2. chaoticdismay

chaoticdismay the rippin and the tearin

I've only heard of one other person doing this and I believe they had to cut the lens off, but don't quote me on that.

3. 93pony

93pony Active Member

Yea I read about that one when I did a search. I may try it, but looking for other options if possible

4. leo2hot4tv

leo2hot4tv 2hot4GT:LOL

I did it. Had the exact same problem you had when i bought a set. You don't have to cut it. The baking in the oven method worked great, although it took a couple of tries. Heat em up and go over the outline with a small and sharp knife. The knife will help separate the plastics. Pain in the ass but don't rush it. Rushing it leads to mistakes. After i had it open, i looked into all kinds of re chroming process for plastics. They are all expensive so i sprayed it with chrome paint. Wasn't perfect but it worked pretty well. Here are some pics. I have some before pics but i gotta dig them up if you're interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one i did was the right as compared to the stock one on the left. Not bad for chrome paint.

5. Noah Woodard

Noah Woodard New Member

Not to bump an old thread, but do you have any more info on this? This is the only post about separating and repainting the ambers that I’ve found on the entire internet. I’ve had mine in the oven at 215 degrees for about 20 minutes and the lens still won’t budge.

6. six gun

six gun Active Member

If they're anything like a headlamp and they should be, try a higher temperature. I did my headlights at 265° for 7 minutes per retrofitsource website recommendations. You will want to also get some butyl rubber, either a tube from a hardware store that you use in a caulking gun, or preferably butyl rubber tape like Retrorubber by Morimoto, to reseal them properly once you go to put them together. There may be tabs snapping the lens in place that may need to be pulled back to start releasing the lens as you carefully pull it apart.