Technical: Fender Mounted MAFs and Filters

SteveC

Some more tech info from the guys at Fordchip...

Jerry made a post on Modular Depot about this.... I figure its worth repeating here as well especially after seeing the issues on my car.

Most blower kits relocate the MAF and filter to inside the fenderwell. Most of the time this works OK but can be the cause of some driveability issues. We have seem some cars that had a decel stall problem or a fluctuating idle when you depress the clutch and coast while coming to a stop. My car had the issue. After looking at several cars with the same issue we figured out that its actually caused by an erratic signal at the MAF and filter caused by air passing through the filter at speed. The issue is worse in a car with no foglights since you will allow more directly at the filter and MAF vs a car with a foglight filling the hole. This could also cause cruise "bucking" and other wierd probs while driving.

To test the solution I simply put a piece of cardboard into the fascia to act as a shield for the MAF and filter. The idle is perfect now and no more stalling. We have seen the same improvement in other cars that had the initial prob.

This should not be an issue with cars that have CAIs since the air will most likely stabilize before getting to the MAF. I could see a similar issue with Ram-Air set-ups though.

Turbulent air through a filter mounted right ot the MAF is never a good idea. So plan on using some sort of shield around any filter mounted in an exposed position.

snakeiz919

SteveC said:
Some more tech info from the guys at Fordchip...

Jerry made a post on Modular Depot about this.... I figure its worth repeating here as well especially after seeing the issues on my car.

Most blower kits relocate the MAF and filter to inside the fenderwell. Most of the time this works OK but can be the cause of some driveability issues. We have seem some cars that had a decel stall problem or a fluctuating idle when you depress the clutch and coast while coming to a stop. My car had the issue. After looking at several cars with the same issue we figured out that its actually caused by an erratic signal at the MAF and filter caused by air passing through the filter at speed. The issue is worse in a car with no foglights since you will allow more directly at the filter and MAF vs a car with a foglight filling the hole. This could also cause cruise "bucking" and other wierd probs while driving.

To test the solution I simply put a piece of cardboard into the fascia to act as a shield for the MAF and filter. The idle is perfect now and no more stalling. We have seen the same improvement in other cars that had the initial prob.

This should not be an issue with cars that have CAIs since the air will most likely stabilize before getting to the MAF. I could see a similar issue with Ram-Air set-ups though.

Turbulent air through a filter mounted right ot the MAF is never a good idea. So plan on using some sort of shield around any filter mounted in an exposed position.

I have a CAI and currently experiencing this so called "bucking". I am totally confused from it. Codes read are P1117 and P1451. Can someone help?

Junior2561

[b]Junior[/b]
snakeiz919 said:
I have a CAI and currently experiencing this so called "bucking". I am totally confused from it. Codes read are P1117 and P1451. Can someone help?
is your MAF in the fender?

99stangz

I think i may have the problem whn i got my Lightning MAF put on and new air filter im starting to get some bucking sometimes not all the time but it has happend. So what can i do to fix this? And i dont have foglights.

NewStangEnthusiast

Sig: Violated
THAT'S what's causing that... I couldn't figure out why my car was lurching, like that. I'll have to try moving the MAF farther from the filter and see if that helps.

Mustang71Lover

Fastest Kia in Arizona
When Mounting a 90mm Lightning MAF with an aftermarket Ebay CAI, do you need a new intake tube to connect it to the fenderwell. I know it's a four bolt design, but wethere its the stock mustang MAF or the Lightning MAF, is that four-bolt the same size?

emoney8924

BOOOOST
i just installed my paxton novi 1000 it requires you to mount the maf and filter in the fenderwell, i have a really bad buck to it, feels like fuel cut, but ill def. have to try this out, if it works thank you so much in advance

silver98v6

my car has been doing this for a little while now. i have just a CAI. MAF in same location as stock, filter in fenderwell.

Mustangkid2000

hmmmm, what year did you say your car was? Can i see a picture of the engine? If those codes are what I think they are, this problem you have has nothing to do with the MAS sensor.

PballSqu*id69

steve i know u were familiar with mah car prob and bad idle and wat not i have a bbk fender cai could this be a problem and can u describe a good way to put a blocker in front of it?

thankz alot

load

I have the same prob with bucking and I have K&N FIPK2. I posted in the drivetrain section of the forums, thinking initially it was the transmission or the clutch.
http://www.v6mustang.com/threads/144924/

It is not fenderwell induction - MAF is in the same place - 2002 manual 18k
I also do not have foglights (but no fenderwell induction so that doesnt matter)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustang007

Fire Medic
load said:
I have the same prob with bucking and I have K&N FIPK2. I posted in the drivetrain section of the forums, thinking initially it was the transmission or the clutch.
http://www.v6mustang.com/threads/144924/

It is not fenderwell induction - MAF is in the same place - 2002 manual 18k
I also do not have foglights (but no fenderwell induction so that doesnt matter)
I also have the K&N FIPK2 and i'm having the same problems. I've actually been having this problem for years. It all started when I added the K&N FIPK2. It got worse when I bought a Diablo chip with 93 octane tune. I then switched to SCT and it got better but is still there. I've noticed that it comes and goes but is usually there throughout winter and gets worse the windier and colder it gets outside. I have noticed that my fuel pressure dips erraticly when this happens. Usually from 30psi down to 20psi for split seconds, sometimes lower.

Could this problem be solved by tuning?

Last edited by a moderator:

slvr2000stang

Another Statistic
From what I can recall it is an issue with the FIPK.
A friend of mine had an FIPK & switched to an Ebay CAI & it went away.