Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

~~~~~~~tell me~~~~~~~

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by blackstang2001, Dec 31, 2002.

1. blackstang2001

blackstang2001 New Member

I want to hear from all of the people with 99+ 5speed stangs out there that got 3.73 gears and traction lock. How does it feel? is it worth the trouble? if you were to compare it to other mods such as mac cai or densecharger or headers and such, how much more of an increase was it over those mods? i want to get some but every once in a while i keep hearing about 1 or 2 people that did not feel almost any difference. ( and yes i know there are other threads like this, but i had to ask all of those questions) thanks, patrick.

2. SlowAsStock

SlowAsStock baylorstangs.com

It's worth it, trust me.

And please don't do the "~" stuff in titles anymore.

3. Jester4Kicks

Jester4Kicks pwn-hawk

I'll be doing it in about a month... I'll post my reactions...

4. Belmont

Belmont The word of reason.

I made the mistake of getting heavy rims, which made my car about as fast as it was stock. So I had to get all the mods to counteract the rims. With the stock rims my car is 4-5 MPH faster in the 1/4 mile, and overall I would say I can run mid 14's with everything. Maybe faster on a good day.

The only complaint I have about the gears is that I used to be able to go to 115MPH in 4th gear, but now I can only go about 101 or so. When racing on the freeway it makes a difference, as anything about 95+ I am in 5th which doesnt have the power 4th does. Also, it seems like driving on the freeway I used to be able drive on the freeway going 80 in 4th, and if there was a slowdown I didnt have to downshift, but now because of the gears, I constantly have to drive in 5th, and everytime there is a slow down to 60-70 I have to downshift, otherwise it would take ten minutes to get back up to speed if I kept it in 5th the whole time. I would say around town driveability is the same, on the freeway I miss 80 in 4th. I could do it now, but I dont like the high revs... with the 3.27's it wasnt so bad, only like 3300 or so.

The best part about the deal is the t lok. I like it way better then the gears. Got Drift? HAHAH... I love going around turns and letting the back slide out a little, turn the wheel and let my 245's do their trick...ah I love it.

If I could do it again, I would get the t-lok, but spend the money I would get on gears and go with some other performance mod. Maybe begin to go the P/P way, which is my next job. Flex's spacers also. I think that would get more power.

Heres my breakdown on costs:

gears 200
    tlok 220
    labor 275 (after oil and rear axle seal replacement)
    ford chip to correct speedo 270

Almost a thousand dollars...

If you arnt looking to drag from a stop, and are more into 30MPH+ speed, I would go with port/polish, phenolic spacers, UD pulley and short throw shifter. I think thats the best way to go. If you can hack it a alluminum driveshaft too. Your mid range to high end power will be much better, and you'll be amazed at how quick you are on the freeway. You see, the gears are for drag type applications where 5th gear isnt important- we cant even get to 5th in the quartermile even with gears... I cant stress enough how much I miss my top end driveability... :cry:

5. StangV6

StangV6 SVT's Rock

what rim's do you have? my cobra R's weigh in at 68lbs each. :eek:

6. Jester4Kicks

Jester4Kicks pwn-hawk

I'm going to be getting some cobra R's too... is 68 lbs considered heavy? :confused:

7. rick0636

rick0636 New Member

I had my Bullitts on my 94 before I put them on the GT, The 94 V6 had no trouble at all doing burnouts or anything else with them.:lol:

8. Belmont

I have bullitt rims in charcoal. The stock 15's I can pick up quite easily, and they are some of the lighter tires Ive ever handled. I used to be an ROP intern for an import shop- still do kinda work there, but anyways, I was always the one that used to have to take the tires off, so I got to handle a lot of tires. I can tell you our stock 15's are much lighter then most tires unless you considers stealies at al :D ;) anyways, the bullitts are really much heavier.

Rick, I can still spin them quite easily. When I got my tlok put in, within days people were egging me on to do a burnout so they could see the tracks. I had a good 10+ft on the marks...in 1st, and in second atleast 5-6ft.

Its sort of a tradeoff between the two. The stock rims I would use to drag race, but the bullitts with my 245 Pirelli's are amazing for handling. They outclass the stock 205's so much its incredible.

Ill have to weigh one of my bullitt rims, but I hope they arnt 67lbs? :cry: God that must suck to drive those.

9. 00SilverStangV6

00SilverStangV6 Huh? Who? Wha? Where?

Sounds to me like you got ripped off a bit. 440 for the tlok and gears? Why not just buy a new FMS 8.8 axle with tlok and 3.73 gears for like 350 or so (I think that's what they run) and install it yourself and save another 275. Axle swaps are easy so long as you have a buddy to help ya.

As for the speedo correction, I was told that 99+ automatically recalibrate. Is this true?

10. Belmont

NO THEY DON'T AUTOMATICALLY RECALIBRATE. Whoever told you that had their head up their ass. Thats why we have to spend 270 bucks on a chip.

350 for a whole 8.8 rear in excellent condition? Ive seen people having to pay upwards of 600 to get the whole unit..

11. matt'sdrag95

matt'sdrag95 Moderator

belmont, you can get a used 8.8 with many diff gear ratios, and even a GOOD limited slip from laurelmountainmustangs.com or many other places for quite cheap..

68lbs PER WHEEL!!!!!!!!!!!aaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! that's INSANE!
    i'm glad my torq-thrusts are aluminum, they weigh less than 30lbs a piece!

my rear 15x8 wheels with the 275/60 rubber is lighter than a stock wheel and tire combo..:D

12. Asha'man

Asha'man Four-Banger Stanger

I've heard some pretty steep prices on gears/tlok and installation, so could it be worth it (at least for the 98- guys) to just get an 8.8 with the desired gears? Seems like it could be cheaper, plus the 98- won't have to deal with a chip for the speedo.

Ash

13. Monkey

Monkey Knew a thing or two

ahem... 8.8s are NOT cheap. i paid 600 for mine shipped and thats cheap.

new they tend to run about 850 or so. you can do the install on one with disc brakes yourself. (if it had drum.. make sure you know what youre doing.. just a bid harder)

that is why 8.8s can be cheaper. its 175 gears, 200 t-lock and about 200 install. thats around $600 already. plus if you feel youre going to upgrade more.. just spend anothe 200 to be safe forever

plus 8.8s have about 2-3x more choices in gear ratios than 7.5s (another benefit of going up to 8.8)

the 99+s can still get 8.8s fine. they still need a chip to recalibrate anyway, so just putting a bigger rear end back there wont hurt it. make sure it was from a 99+ cause they are 1.5" wider disc to disc (or just get wheel spacers)

14. blackstang2001

blackstang2001 New Member

if gears gave hp and torque, how much do you think it would be. By what u feel? is it that big of a deal?

15. Monkey

Monkey Knew a thing or two

you said "if gears gave you hp" i just want to make sure you know they dont give you any engine hp.

since you have 3.27 stock gears.. if you went to 3.73s as recommended since you have a manual. i would compare it to gaining 30hp or so.
    for me.. 2.73 stock gears, now have 4.10s.. maybe feel like 40-50hp gain

they are a great mod, and you will kick yourself for not getting them sooner.

16. StangV6

StangV6 SVT's Rock

THis voids the drivetrain warranty doesnt it?

17. matt'sdrag95

matt'sdrag95 Moderator

if you use ford racing gears and t-lok then it does not void anything.

also, while a NEW 8.8 is more expensive, you can find TONS of used 8.8s for less tha 400bucks with any gear or diff you desire..

laurelmountainmustang.com had many used 8.8s for anything you want..
    i've personally found ones' used without axles, 4.10s and an aubrun diff for 200bucks. that's cheap.

matt

18. StangV6

StangV6 SVT's Rock

are you serious?!? I've been thinking the past year it'd void the warranty.:eek:

19. matt'sdrag95

matt'sdrag95 Moderator

nope.
    as long as you use ford pars, and have it installed at either a ford dealership or an AUTHORIZED ford racing dealer, then you won't void anything.

that's the ONLY condition, if you have some ma and pa shop do it it will void.

matt

20. StangV6

StangV6 SVT's Rock

sweet, I was gettin' mine installed at the dealership anyway. My friend owns a 98 Cobra and they only charged him 160 for 4.10's.