Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Theft light blinking and crank but no start after setting in rain.

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by John D. Carter, Nov 21, 2017.

1. John D. Carter

John D. Carter Member

My 98 3.8L sat out in the rain for 2 days and afterwards will not start. At first I thought it was the pump relay located in the command control module. I replaced that module to no avail. I think that the PCM is shutting off the fuel because the pump does not prime and the dashboard theft light is flashing as it cranks. Has anyone had experience with this problem? I checked the fuel pump fuse and it is good. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. John D. Carter

John D. Carter Member

I found the problem. After replacing the CCRM control box, I tried to start it with a standard non-chipped key because I had lost my chipped key. After finding that key, it started right up. So it was the CCRM control box that was the culprit. It houses the fuel pump relay and the PCM relay (and others). It is located in the passenger side wheel well behind the splash shield. The flashing theft light on the dash indicated that there was no communication between the PCM and the fuel pump relay. It is running great again. Evidently the rain had nothing to do with it.

3. douglass

douglass Active Member

Glad to hear you got it fixed, and that you posted the solution/problem.