Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

thermostat housing problems

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by eddie2010, Jun 4, 2015.

1. eddie2010

eddie2010 New Member

I have a 2010 4.0 I've replace thermostat housing 2times this will be my third first two times it split apart now it's leaking from bottom of housing. Has anyone bought the all metal housing does that work better? Or what is causing this problem? Any thing helps... thanks

2. MirageII

MirageII Member

Absolutely one of the best products you can buy for your stang! I bought one for my 05' and have had zero problems with it. Yes it's expensive, but in my opinion, worth every penny. The problem with the plastic housing is that they sonic weld the main body together. What normally happens is that weld comes apart after a few or many hot/cold cycles and allows the coolant to leak under pressure. Save yourself some worry and get the metal housing.

eddie2010 likes this.
  3. eddie2010

eddie2010 New Member

Thank you for your feed back

MirageII likes this.
  4. MirageII

MirageII Member

No problem. Hope it helps. Let me know how it works out for you.

5. bonemanrides

bonemanrides Logophile, Curmudgeon

Chiming in quite late on this one but hey... info is good to have. My original plastic housing lasted 7.5 years and 150K miles. The first "upgraded" unit I replaced it with... less than 12K miles and failed in under a year. Living in Flawduh with the heat we have here I decided not to play games and procured the aluminum housing. It's pretty much THE solution to the problem. In fact... once you replace it... you never think of housing leaks again. EVAR.