Throttle body ?

DanF

Ok so I've polished the ports on the heads {took a little casting off}, and ported the intake, my next question is, Throttle body, has anyone used one from a 5.0 on a 3.8 engine? I'm wondering if it will bolt up?? thank you..

ProjectVicky

Wrench Monkey
Port and polishing is next on my build, did you feel it was easy enough to do on your own? Do you have any advice?

DanF

I wrote you on the other thread, not much casting on the heads, a little on the exhaust, not much on intake, main problem seemed to be the intake manifold, Heck I'm not even trying to build, it's just since I had to go that far to check out if the engine was still OK, my Bro in law, said why not add free HP..now he's saying to get a piece of aluminum, cut one side to fit Throttle Body, other to fit where it goes in a angle,to make the holes line up..like I said free HP...

ProjectVicky

Wrench Monkey
I have a 98 with a 2002 3.8, so I already have the better heads and intake, although I think for the upper intake, I'm going to use a 94-96 Windstar van, I haven't decided if I'll use the 02 stang TB, windstar TB, or the 65 mm from American muscle (or equal since $250 for a TB seems high). I'm kinda doin the same thing -- while I have the engine out, do as much as I can afford before I put it all back together and have to do it again later. I figured I would have to port the exhaust a little more to better match the long tube headers anyway. If there's not that much casting to take off, I may just do it myself. Thank ya'll!

ProjectVicky

Wrench Monkey
Look here for some over the top porting on the upper intake. 2nd Generation Cut-N-Weld Upper Intake - V6Power Messageboard It will give some guidance as well on not so radical upper intake porting. Look at photos all the way to the end.
Wow, you weren't kidding when you said "over the top." The gasket matching at the end looks great, that's about what I hope mine looks like in the end, that post has a fine example. I guess my next step is seeing which intake and TB has the most efficient setup for a non-turbo car.

Last edited:

6 Shooter

With all the porting done, I just used 3/8 inch variable speed drill, used these rotary files rotary files from Northern Tool + Equipment and also used MONSTER 1/2" Carbide Bur, Cylinder With Radius End, Aluma Cut, SC-5NF - 22YD18|310-002504 - Grainger

For the aluminum cut carbide rotary file, which is for course cutting, you can call DBC Industrial in Garland Tx at 972-276-9972 and ask for part number 1868. They are $31.50 each and well worth the money. This is the same rotary file cutter I used. It really shaves off aluminum.