Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Throttle lag

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Boogsawaste, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Boogsawaste

Boogsawaste New Member

Is it possible to correct in a tune the annoying throttle lag that seems so common in drive by wire systems on these mustangs? Im hoping just a canned tune can fix it but I'm not going to hold my breath. Would be nice to just convert it to a conventional cable system. Thanks for any help.

2. Red Stallion

Red Stallion New Member

I have read that a cai corrects this issue on our cars but I haven't tried it myself yet.

3. Boogsawaste

Boogsawaste New Member

Thanks for the heads up.

4. OkieHick

OkieHick New Member

I experienced that throttle lag in many of the cars I test drove before I settled on the stang...especially the VW Jetta, Focus and Fiesta. The salesmen would always state that was due to the computer "deciding" on what actions to take based on its inputs. Perhaps. But I've never experienced that in my car. I would say then that your issue is with the computer or its inputs.

5. Boogsawaste

Boogsawaste New Member

While its more prominent in some cars, I haven't been in a drive by wire car that doesn't do it at all. And I've driven a lot. Best one was the last generation Mazda 3. Worst one was a cobalt ss/sc. This car doesn't have it bad but if I were to blip the throttle quickly while in neutral I can surely see it. And that crap just bothers me. I've tuned it out of a gto, and cobalt ss, but I bought this car because I'm done with modding and just wanted a decently quick daily driver I could take on long trips and get some good mpg's. So I won't be tuning my own car this time. I might look into getting a canned tune sent to me (I still have an sct laying around somewhere), but I'm not a fan of generic tunes on the other hand.

Who knows, maybe I'll just live with it I guess. Thanks for the input.

6. DaBigBone

DaBigBone Bonin'

Had a small lag in mine until I put a CAI and a tune on it.

7. Boogsawaste

Boogsawaste New Member

Nice, I'll probably do the same. Thanks.

8. VenomGTX

VenomGTX New Member

My throttle lags when I shift. It takes a second to let off so when I push the clutch in, it keeps revving. It's really annoying

Tap-a-taco

9. PonyCarKing

PonyCarKing New Member

I hate that damn throttle lag! Mine has it pretty bad. I would almost call it a Bog. It reminds me of the old turbos when they first came out. It would take them a while to spool up. I had a 2012 3.7 Mustang rental and it was the same way. Couldnt even turn the tires, and yes I do have 2.73 gears. But thats rediculous! I have CAI and Exhaust and Bama tuning on mine and it still has that damn lag, but not quite as bad. Lemme know if you figure out how to get rid of this nuisance.
    Thanks

10. Ltngdrvr

Ltngdrvr Active Member

These cars have adaptive learning in the PCM, so if you drive it soft for a while, especially an automatic car, it learns that attitude and adapts the response to it.

Take the negative battery cable off the battery for 10 minutes and it will wipe the adaptive learning memory and the throttle response will come back.

There is also one of the fuses you can pull, 47 I think, that will accomplish the same thing.

11. PonyCarKing

PonyCarKing New Member

12. OkieHick

OkieHick New Member

I rented a 3.7 in Colorado Springs last week and it had no lag. Mine doesn't. Could it be the gas you're using?

13. nikko

nikko Admin Emeritus Off Topic Moderator

My money is on this being a deliberate tuning issue in the interest of fuel economy. Takes a lot of tricks to get these cars to squeeze out 30mpg on the EPA cycle.

14. Bilbo388

Bilbo388 New Member

That's probably the most likely answer. It could be that Ford has programmed in some delay or processing rate in the software between when the ECU receives a signal and when it acts upon that signal. Probably to smooth out acceleration to help with fuel economy.

A CAI might help a little, but it's really going to come down to the software. This lag can probably be cleaned up with a tuner, depending on how in depth the programmer goes. Before i bought a tuner, I looked at a couple brands, and most of them claimed to increase throttle response. If they are doing what they claim, my guess is that they're increasing the rate at which the ECU processes signals from the sensors. On a school project i did with EFI on small engines, we found that our standalone ECU only processed the signal from the MAP sensor once in a cycle. Even though the sensor is always hooked up, the ECU isn't continuously using the data from the sensors to calculate its next move. The same was true for the other sensors, even though for some of them it was on the millisecond scale. So, if a tuner is able to decrease the time between readings, the ECU will be able to detect and act upon changes sooner, thus decreasing throttle lag.

Lot of nerd talk there. Long story short, your best bet is a tuner to remove the lag.

15. OkieHick

OkieHick New Member

Great dissertation! ^^^^ Now why do some have it and some do not? By far the WORST case of lag I experienced was with the VW Jetta product. With the diesel model the lag was so bad that when I stepped on the gas, the radio antenna tilted forward...

16. audioAl

audioAl Coyote Red

Dang lag, I read over on another forum about removing fuse #47 and waiting 10 seconds and then replacing it. It works for two weeks till the adaptive sets again.

17. ponie1992

ponie1992 Member

Throttle response on my car improved greatly with an SCT bama tuner.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

18. PonyCarKing

PonyCarKing New Member

You might be right about Ford programming the lag in. The rental car I had and mine are both Program Cars and they both had terrible Throttle Lag. I have the SCT Tuner with a Bama Tune. I've actually tried several different tunes. One time the tires will spin good on take-off and the next time I punch it at a stop it might Lag like its taking off in 3rd gear. Its very disturbing. I havent tried disconnecting the battery yet. If I go with 3:73 gears it should spin the tires better shouldnt it?, even if I still have some of the lag?

19. mac_mogul

mac_mogul Ned knows best.

My Focus had lag for the first month or so that I drove it and now it's gone away.

The key is to activate the pedal faster. If you're making slow adjustments on the pedal position, you'll feel the lag, but if you use the pedal swiftly and with a sure foot, you won't have lag.

I can blip the throttle nicely for a downshift and engine response is instant.

20. PonyCarKing

PonyCarKing New Member

I installed 3:73 gears and still so slow on takeoff it wont spin the tires! Just bought a BBK throttle body hoping that will cure the problem. I read where a guy had to replace his TB because he said the computer would reject it. With the new electronics for the drive by wire in the new BBK TB, maybe that will solve the problem. I'm hoping. I'm tired of this annoying problem. I can hold the car in first and hammer it at 20mph and spin the tires through the rest of first gear (To 35mph) yet I cant break them lose at a stop. And the Traction Control IS off. I've got an automatic transmission. I'll try to let you guys know how the new TB works.