1. Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Thunderbird Supercharger on 3.8 mustang

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by sajds0430, Mar 11, 2005.

Social Buttons
  1. sajds0430

sajds0430 New Member

Hi,
    I was just wondering if there was anybody out there who has successfully installed an m90 from a t-bird onto a 98 or below 3.8 mustang. If so, what else did you modify? Do you have any 1/4mile times or dyno results? I just wanted to see if I was the only one. Oh yeah, when I get some time, I'll make a website with pics of my car and stuff.
    -Scott
  2. TBR

TBR TYVMSAP

Well, not yet..But it's in the works. V6Power.net has a great write up in their Tech Archives section.
  3. ghigliotty

ghigliotty GT now biatches

DO a search or READ the New Age Tuning sticky!
  4. NoUseForAName

NoUseForAName New Member

ya ive been looking into getting a supercharger off an old thunderbird. theres one at a junkyard near me that will sell the supercharger and intercooler for about $600
  5. mheath

mheath New Member

what is the point it will never be done
  6. 01stangman

01stangman New Member

second that
  7. StangAddict

StangAddict v6,gt,c4:whats next z06?

:crazy: :lol: your probably right :rolleyes:
  8. matt'sdrag95

matt'sdrag95 Moderator

that's an aweful lot..

look on ebay.. i got the blower, intercooler, all the piping, injectors, tb, inlet and outlet to blower, MAF AND the lower intake for 360shipped.

matt
  9. eugene232

eugene232 New Member

ghigliotty, that is one awesome stang! ive always loved that color blue and those headlights are sweet.

as far as the eaton m90 thing goes, it seems it is a frequently discussed topic that not many people have done or will ever do. it was my understanding that the motor is not very boost friendly...well higher boost anyway. if i had a v6 mustang again i would either have fun making it look sweet and enjoy it for what it was, or save for a v8. whenever ive been in my friends gt (heads, cams, intake, exhaust, gears...you name it) it was such a cool sound/feeling compared to my v6. i still love the way mustangs sound, although i cant complain about my 350.
  10. sajds0430

sajds0430 New Member

That sounds a little steep. Check ebay, but make sure you buy through ebay or some reputable company. I didn't, and got screwed. He said it had absolutely everything I needed. HAH! Then, I couldn't get my money back or leave feedback. This is a list of all that I had to swap to fit a t-bird sc on a 98 mustang.

blower
    intercooler + tubes
    lower intake manifold
    throttle body
    fuel rail
    upgraded to 42lb injectors
    some cooling lines
    used many electrical connectors from an old t-bird harness
    3 belts
    water pump pulley
    alternator
    a/c pump (not even hooked up, just to make the belts fit, it uses r-12 not r-134a, besides, it is a convertible)
    a/c mount bracket with idler pulley
    power steering+ alternator mount bracket
    throttle cable with custom bracket
    egr valve

I also put on headers, cat-back exhaust, ported supercoupe heads, custom cam, 90mm maf, sct tune. That stuff all works together. I figured I'd do it right as long as I was taking the time.

There is probably some other stuff that I can't think of right now. Any questions? pm me or check the supercharging sticky

Oh yeah, I don't have any numbers or times yet. I am still waiting for my sct flasher to come in. The car runs, but the plugs foul in a matter of minutes. That is with the stock program and the largely oversized injectors. The tune will take care of that.
  11. 95Heff

95Heff New Member

First then is first, one you can thake the supercoupe blower in put in on your mustang an it will work. I know this cus I have done it and it runs like a raped ape, it takes some time in a couple of headaches but its worth it. Second then results that you wanted to know sajds0430. A stock motor with 113,000 miles tuned and race ready has 213 horsepower in 293 ft-lbs. thats just with the top end of a supercoupe put on the mustangs motor transmission built for racin and 3.73 posi in the rear. You can also keep the AC and be able to have your cruise control. You might need a bigger fuel pump even though before you get your car tuned it fouls out the plugs b/c its to rich. The reason for this is when you get your car tuned it will lean out around 3200-3500 rpm depending on what you have done to your car.
  12. dracken

dracken Geek Extrodinaire

Talk about digging up the past....:rolleyes:

Hi 95Heff! Welcome to 3.8...

Yeah, the M-90 (Thunderbird Supercoupe Roots Supercharger) is do-able for those that have a 94-98 Mustang as they both utilize the single port heads and lower intake - but one MUST be wary as to make sure the ENTIRE kit is provided, otherwise the hassle and headache is not anywhere cheap nor worth the time. A Turbo or Centi supercharger would be cheaper and yield more HP/TQ for the same costs at that point. Also the stock intercooler for the supercoupe is less than ideal and for peak efficency and power redoing the intercooler is highly recommended.​
    The conversion of a splitport head and intake in the 99-04 Mustang is, in my opinion, not worth the time nor the results, it's too expensive, too underpowered and too much of a hastle to drop 40 hp just to gain 60-80 back, making a net of 20-40 hp return. Now there's members here that are testing the 03/04 Cobra M-112 Blower with good results on the splitport (which means that the single port would benifit as well) BUT it's still being tested and the kinks are being worked out - and the ones that have done it have spent alot more than they planned.​

There's some active posts here on the front page for the poweradders that have exactly what I'm talking about and would give more insight :)
  13. Jt Stang

Jt Stang Mach 1 Driver

dude there hast to be a way to have something customized to slap the blower onto a split port, i just bought a full kit, even included the heads, for about $300.... Im port and polish EVERYTHIng and undrive the pulley which even if i go single port the power numbers should be more than 20hp, and its not really about the hp, its about the torque, stock the super coupes have 100 more ft lbs of torque than our cars do, I quote steve saleen "hp sales cars, tq wins races"
  14. dracken

dracken Geek Extrodinaire

I believe that it is actually Carroll Shelby that is attributed with that quote.

And torque is great, don't get me wrong, but for the price of converting a split port to single port and then slapping that M-90 on, I'd rather have twin turbos with more peak HP and TQ that will allow the vehicle to not only accellerate quickly but also get to the high speeds. Low end TQ will do the former but HP assists the latter. The 99+ Mustang has consierably better stats than the 94-98 - 190 horsepower at 5250 rpm and 220 foot-pounds of torque at 2750 rpm compared to 150 horsepower and 215 foot-pounds of torque. Now the supercoupes 210 horsepower and 315 Foot-lbs of torque will get it off the line, sure, but the HP is low and thus still slow - peak speeds arn't going to be much more than the 99+ naturally aspirated (un-governed).

Like I said, the M-90 is fine and dandy for the 94-98 IF you can get the ENTIRE setup, but is nowhere ideal for the 99+ for all the work that is involved.
  15. 1998232v6

1998232v6 My engine meows

Garages:
    trying to put a m90 blower on your 1998 is gonna a pain in the ass... they dont fit right, if its 1989-1995 (140hp) it will fit fine...but in 1996-1997 (150hp) maybe? it will but in 1998 they changed the motor ( lower intake manifold) the bolts are diff. sized and they are a diff. size. trust me i tried it,and the place by me that puts on superchargers for a living gave up and said it would fit.. if i wanted to invest 600 more dollars...
  16. GakiAkuma

GakiAkuma New Member

Holy old topic batman.

http://www.v6power.net/vb/index.php
    http://www.magnumpowers.com/thunder_pro_pri.php (There intercooler is expencive as hell but comes with piping and stuff, just read it.)
    http://www.spinningwheels-sc.com/
    http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?category=13

Theres "afternarket" for the m90 and so far the fastest is mid 11sec in a 3500 lbs car with IRS.

http://www.magnumpowers.com/thunder_quikest-bird.php

So the m90 route is still viable.nto sure how far one could go with it but again its all in how the parts selection/tune and other items are setup.
  17. sajds0430

sajds0430 New Member

Actually, the lower intake manifold fit fine. Although, I did swap supercoupe heads over at the same time. The only real difference I noticed was in the timing chain cover. I wanted to build up a supercoupe block, but didn't have the supercoupe timing cover. So, I built up the mustang block instead.

I'll admit is was a lot of work, but it was definately worth it. My 98 m90 charged mustang can roast both the tires to the redline in both 1st and 2nd with just a push of the pedal. And, I'm running Kumho 245s with 3.73 gears and an overshimmed limited slip differential on an 8.8" rear.

In 98, the tranny mounting bolt pattern stayed the same as it always has (like the 5.0). That's how I was able to fit the Tremec T-56 6-speed manual.

The m90 cars can produce much more power than 210hp. If mine can smoke a fox body 5.0 easily, then I must be making quite a bit more. My car even weighs more.

Well, if anybody has any questions that pertain to the 98 3.8s, I do have a lot of experience in what will fit them, PM me.

Attached Files: