Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

To change gears or not?

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by PencilPro, Jul 2, 2014.

1. PencilPro

PencilPro Member

I've seen several posts on here about changing gears in certain rearends...
    First off...I don't claim to be an expert on Mustangs...I'm here to learn more because I do plan on building mine...
    I have personally had to deal with this issue in my 07', I used to own, and owning a 09' in the past along with owning an 06' right now, I can say I have enough experience with the S197's rearend to post this... Along with some personal differential building in the past also...
    Also if you own an 05', please take the time to verify this...if I'm not mistaken the 05' came with a 3.8L and single traction? If you own one or have owned one and know for sure, please post here...

My 06', 07' and 09' all have LSD's with 3.77's in the rear... my 06' has a torque limiter built into the program but my 07' and 09' didn't... This helps save the rearend from damage but henders a good burnout...Throw some water on the tires and the right will break loose then the left kicks in for a nice burnout :):) The 07' and the 09' would do a burnout with only me (and no water), the driver, but with a passengers weight it wouldn't break loose...

Now for the main reason for this topic...if you have a car, any car that is this close to maximum traction like these are, why would you change gears? If you add horsepower upgrades you will only be spinning on takeoff(spinning ain't winning...as they say) if you add horsepower upgrades you will have to change to a wider tire combo with softer compound tires to keep the rubber to the road...The more you up the engines power the more you will fight traction...

Because of having to already put out $2g into one of these rears once already, I'm just going to add a girdle to stop bearing cap flex and synthetic oil then start on tire and engine upgrades ;-)

2. Derfdog15

Derfdog15 Active Member

the gears give more kick off of the line. I hightly doubt that you had stock 3.77s or that it had an LSD, as ford doesnt even add anything taller than 3.55s in these cars.

3. PencilPro

PencilPro Member

They changed the trans gearing along with the gears on the S197's...crazy off the line for a v6..I paid $1000 for them at the dealer ;-) they aren't an aftermarket gear...my X insisted I put the stock back in because it was her daily driver at the time...if I had my way I would have put an 8.8 in it for the amount I it took to fix it with a warranty :-\ Ford has that repair cornered with no aftermarket replacement offered :-\

4. Derfdog15

Derfdog15 Active Member

I really dont think its a 3.77 im pretty they are 3.27s. The LSD may be true but im pretty sure it still one wheel peel in the 7.5 (Unless you have traction control). And there are places to get rear gears for the 7.5 but it makes heck of a lot more sense to just upgrade to an 8.8

5. maxwellmurder

maxwellmurder Member

This dude is a troll Derf. He has no idea what he's talking about.

6. greensteeda

greensteeda Retired Speed Racer Mod. Suck It!

The 2005 Mustangs used the 4.0 engines, not 3.8s. Not sure what "single traction" is. 3.77 is not a gear that has ever been offered in the Mustang. The gears offered are 2.73, 3.27, 3.55, 3.73 from Ford. There are higher ratios out there but 3.77 is not one of them.