Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tranny swap???

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Blue96, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Blue96

Blue96 New Member

Is it possible to swap an automatic in place of the 5 speed or is it too much bs with the computer etc.?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  2. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

3. Phil II

The computer is the same, the tune is different. There is a wiring harness for the manual transmission. The cylinder head temperature sensor may need to be transferred from the main engine harness to the manual transmission harness.

If you really must do this I suggest finding a donor car or two. I did this without the benefit of anything I could pull parts from at my local junk yards. I pieced together the parts from ebay, forums, and vendors/catalogs.

List:
    • pilot bearing - can use FRPP for sbf 302
    • flywheel - 11"
    • flywheel fasteners - the auto ones aren't the correct length
    • clutch & pressure plate
    • clutch hardware - same as modular v8
    • throwout bearing - don't bother using the one included with clutch kit
    • clutch fork
    • clutch fork pivot stud - may come with bellhousing and be in decent condition
    • bellhousing
    • bellhousing to block hardware - can re-use auto stuff
    • transmission (T-5)
    • transmission to bellhousing hardware - can use CJ Pony parts to get the thread, order from McMaster or similer
    • drive shaft yoke for transmission
    • transmission wiring harness
    • shifter - recommend the aftermarket, MGW is the best
    • pedals
    • clutch cable - do NOT use an adjustable cable
    • clutch quadrant - recommend to get this, the cable, and firewall adjuster from Maximum Motorsports
    • shift boot
    • shift knob - the leather Ford Racing unit is very nice for the price
    The T-5 is the factory transmission and will be the easiest to fit in there. You must pay attention to input shaft length, as the v6 cars use the longest input shaft, same as iirc 94-95 gt's. Idk if your computer is setup to receive a reluctor ring signal or the VSS sensor for speedometer.

4. Blue96

Blue96 New Member

Thanks for the reply, Phil. I just realized I worded my post wrong. I want to swap out my current 5 speed for an automatic. Was wondering if that is possible.

5. Phil II

Sure, same difference, different list. I will say that's more crazy than swapping from auto to manual. I personally find rowing the gears to drastically improve control and communication with the car.

pacbelt and Echonan like this.
  6. Blue96

Blue96 New Member

So what is involved. The car was given to me and I will be using it more as a project when I retire in a couple of years. I'll drive it to work once in a while and maybe an occasional cruise-in until then. I prefer an automatic for driving in traffic.

7. Darrin

Darrin Member

The computer will need to be changed or you will have to get an aftermarket controller. The transmission tunnel is slightly different on the auto cars. I always find one in a yard and cut out the top of the tunnel and patch it in. Need the auto transmission harness. Gotta deal with the neutral safety switch. Need a yoke for an auto, flexplate, transmisison cooler and lines , shifter, dipstick... Thats a start.

8. Blue96

Blue96 New Member

Thank you for your reply, Darrin.

9. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Member

The easiest way would be to swap the whole 5 speed car to a guy like me who has one with a 4R70W auto trans but would rather have one with a T-5, ;).

10. Blue96

Blue96 New Member

What year, condition, color, etc., etc., ????? and where are you?

11. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Member

It's a 1999, in daily driver / drive anywhere condition, in spite of having 203,795 miles on it when I parked it this morning. It's Laser Red over immaculate black leather and charcoal interior. But it's the "etc., etc.," part of your question that has me favoring trading good ol' American cash for another New Edge V6 but with manual box, rather than parting with the one I've got. No law says I can't have more than one, right?

I had to think about this long and hard before responding. In the end, in all honesty, I like the automatic transmission more than I expected I would when I paid $1,200.00 for the car 18 months ago. When I think about how I actually use the car, versus how I fantasize about wanting to use it, the slush-box has a lot going for it.

I'm not in to the car for much in terms of money in the grand scheme of things, but I am in to it enough in terms of sweat equity that I can't recoup my costs by selling it or trading it. Best option for me is to keep it, finish the build, and spend the next 20 years or more (hopefully) enjoying it. It's got the weight reduction done, the chassis stiffening done, suspension lowered and dialed in to my taste, the 3.73 r&p gears and limited slip, the exhaust work, they dyno tuning, and all of the stuff that makes a livable daily driver when it works and a P.O.S. old car when it doesn't all now works like it is supposed to -stuff like the HVAC, cruise control, instruments, power door locks, windows, and mirrors, and the dome and map lights, and the trunk struts hold the lid up so I don't have to, and the windshiled wipers wipe instead of smear, and so on and so forth. It has less than 18 months on new brakes, suspension bushings, front hubs and bearings, water pump, power steering pump, alternator, belt, hoses, and the 235 / 60-15 Pirelli P-600's it rolls on....

All that's left is fresh laser red clear coat on its straight, rust, dent, and ding-free body.

If the engine holds together as I expect it will for another 60,000 miles, it'll be another 6 to 10 years before I have to do anything major and when I do, it'll be engine overhaul and I'm going 4.2.

But being as close to done as I am, with the investment I've made in a little money I can replace and a lot of time I can't, it wouldn't be prudent for me to sell the car or trade it no. As it is now, it weighs 2950 pounds, puts 179 hp and 196 ft. lbs tq to the rear wheels, is reliable enough to drive anywhere, and everything that is supposed to work works like it is supposed to. Best thing for me would be to keep it, finish it, and enjoy it for the next 20+ years as I planned to when I paid my $1,200.00 to buy it.

So, I wouldn't be interested in trading cars, but I am interested in trading cash for a New Edge V6 (1999-2004) with a five-speed manual....

Feyd likes this.
  12. Blue96

Blue96 New Member

I'm not at a point to buy another car. I would prefer an automatic, but the car is being given to me by my step-daughter. It's a 1996. You have done to your car what I am just beginning to do to this one. A lot of "little" things need attending to. Your original post sounded interesting so I just wanted to find out more about what you wanted. Thanks for your reply.

13. hitmankb

hitmankb King

I have a 96 auto, if you do end up doing the swap, let me know. I may want to buy some/most of your 5 speed parts.

14. Feyd

Feyd Member

:uhh::eyetwitch::facepalm: I would highly recommend giving the manual a chance to grow on you, esp. if its a project car and not your every day driver. It's a much more rewarding experience.

Echonan likes this.