Translate gears into a  h/p coversion ??

D

DEBT_COLLECTOR

I dont think that gears effect h/p but they have to effect torque somehow. So if i put 3.73 gearss in my car that has stock 3.23 whats the difference in torque feel ?

R

Red_Sports_cars_always_get_pulled_over

I did a ratio equation (it probably isnt correct) to see the torque change from 2.73 to 3.73 gears (I have 3.73).  (215 lb ft)/(2.73)=("X" lb ft)/(3.73).  "X" therefore equals 293.7 lb ft.  Could this be possible?  Could putting 3.73 gears boost the torque to GT levels?  Of course this would mean HP at a given RPM went down.  It might be though, because my accelleration is the same now as my friends (a cop) 94 GT but I dont have nearly the top speed.

R

Oh, and if your car is 99+, I think you have stock 3.27 not 3.23.

R

So just substitute in the 3.27 for the 2.73.  the stock ratio for 94-98 is 2.73.  Youd also have to sub in the stock torque from 215 to 220.  I did the calculations for my 98 stang.  The 99+ will have a little more torque in the end, but just a very little.

F

frankijet

Hey thomas,
me again.  How much did it run you to put the gears in?  Or did you do it yourself? Does it take long?  My mechanic buddy said that its better to have a performance shop do it, cos theres a lot involved.  does it take long in the shop?  
thanks in advance!
frankie---

R

I had the local Mustang performance shop do it, and it took them bout 5 hours.  DONT DO IT YOURSELF!!!  The Gears were cheap, like $120 or so, the labor was nearly as much though.

S

Shogunstang

gears you dont get more hp or tq from what i gathered they just make your tires spin more

S

slvrstrk

your tires are spinning because there is more torque turning the axles

R

rick0636

i got trac loc the same time I got my gears, my wheels spin very little if any most of the time, but that sucker will haul butt.  ;D8)

S

Shogunstang

how do you get more torque? i dont figure becuase all your doing is adding less teeth for the axles to turn on your not adding anything to the engine

M

mustangham91

jeez my gears are $180 but im gunna do it with a friend(well figure it out) figured itll take about 4-5hrs. not sure which ones to get yet though(gunna race 1/4mi) but it wont boost hp itll just make tires spin faster Good Luck