Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

transmission not recognized after motor rebuild

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by 19fordguy65, May 15, 2019 at 6:43 PM.

Tags:
  1. 19fordguy65

19fordguy65 New Member

pulled motor out of 2002 mustang - had it rebuilt now engine runs but transmission will not engage. when pushing overdrive on/off nothing happens. Shifter will go to every position but wheesl will not turn. i have checked all connections seem fine. any advice?

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 7:32 PM
  2. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

Did you install the torque converter bolts?

19fordguy65 likes this.
  3. 19fordguy65

19fordguy65 New Member

yes

4. fasterthanyou

Is the driveshaft installed? Lol sorry just messing around now.

As long as the shift cable is hooked up and all of the obvious things are installed it should turn the wheels even with none of the electrical connectors hooked up. (Aside from the range sensor, the engine won't start without that connected.)

Are you able to turn the driveshaft by hand with the rear end off the ground and trans in park? Are you able to turn the driveshaft with the trans in any other gear?

19fordguy65 likes this.
  5. 19fordguy65

19fordguy65 New Member

i will head out to the shop and see ty

6. 19fordguy65

19fordguy65 New Member

the wheels will spin while in park - I pulled motor and transmission together - I guess I will drop transmission and try again unless you have any other advice

7. fasterthanyou

If its an open differential then the wheels will spin in park. Hence why i mentioned the driveshaft.

If the driveshaft turns while in park then yeah the parking pawl in the transmisson is shot. Might as well just get a used transmission to replace it with.

Very unusual that a trans would do that just from replacing the motor.

The only other thing i can think of is the torque converter wasnt seated properly on the input shaft when installing the motor and they might have shoehorned the motor and trans together by tightening the bellhousing bolts while the converter wasn't fully seated.

Doing that will destroy the trans fluid pump and that will cause your trans to not work at all.

19fordguy65 likes this.
  8. 19fordguy65

19fordguy65 New Member

getting a new transmission pump now - hope that is it will let you know later tonight.
    Thanks for your help!

9. fasterthanyou

Whoa dude that was just a wild shot in the dark guess. Just an idea of what things MIGHT cause what you're talking about.

Always go through the proper testing procedures before replacing parts. Otherwise its just guessing and you'll provably end up wasting your money.

HumanSVD likes this.