Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Trunk Lock issue

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Jakesdad1, Jul 12, 2017.

  1. Jakesdad1

    Jakesdad1 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2017
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    2007 Convertible with new issue when opening the trunk via remote (key fob). The lock cycles repeatably, almost like a chattering. Not sure if it is the lock mechanism or is it the relay cycling?
    Tried last month to install remote trunk release at the glove box, but could not find the wire to splice into. Tried several, but none worked.
    Now trying to figure out what I need replaced?
     
  2. MirageII

    MirageII Member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2014
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    13
    Sorry, I realize this is an old post. Still having the chattering issue? Did it start after you started poking around trying to find the right wire to splice into for the remote trunk release? Let me know if you still need help.
     
  3. Jakesdad1

    Jakesdad1 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2017
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Ended up replacing the lock mechanism with new, problem went away.
    Still no idea which wire I need to connect to the switch. The switch is connected to ground on one side and the other side to white with pink stripe?
     
  4. MirageII

    MirageII Member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2014
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    13
    Ok, I did this myself and it worked out really well, but not exactly as the instructions state. I don't know what your skill level with a soldering iron is, but like all things, a little patience and care and this really is a simple project. Just don't rush.

    They say to use one of the blue wire splice thingys. (clamp on wire "T" like thing). I did, and it worked kinda, sometimes. But I think it caused more problems than I had before.

    So I went back to the white/pink stripe wire and cut it someplace that was easy to get to. (Sorry I don't have pictures to show you, but I cut it so that it was still behind the kick panel). Then stripped about 1" of insulation off both ends. I then put a 2" piece of heat shrink tubing over one end of the wire and moved it as far out of the way as i could. (Towards door sill plate). You may have to unravel some of the tape they used to make a wire bundle, but it's ok you can wrap electrical tape around it later. So you have your shrink tubing over the wire. Both ends of the white/pink wire are stripped and ready, now strip about 1" of the insulation off the wire you're going to hook up to the switch.

    The next part I like to do in 4 steps:
    1. take your 2 stripped white/pink wires and overlap the wires and twist them together so they look like one wire wrapped around the other. Solder them together. Let them cool.

    2. Now take your switch wire and place on top of the solder joint you just made so the cut end is facing the shrink tubing. Wrap it around the solder joint also, and lay the rest flat against the white/pink wire. Solder this to the existing white/pink wire, previously soldered. Let it cool.

    3. Once cool, slide the shrink tubing back over the whole solder joint, using a hair dryer, heat the shrink tubing till it shrinks over the joint. Not too much, you don't want to burn it, just enough to shrink over the wires.

    4. Wrap the bundle of wires back up as they were, using electrical tape (for added protection and neatness, hook it up to the switch and you should be done.

    (made a silly little drawing to help you see what I'm talking about)
    wire splice.jpg


    I took a short piece of wire from the other connector on the switch and found a sheet metal screw close by to use as my ground point. And that was it. Worked like a charm and has been for about 6 months.