Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Turbo for 2004 v6 3.8?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Fatal1ty, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Fatal1ty

Fatal1ty New Member

New to forum just picking up a 2004 with v6 3.8L . I'm wondering if there is a turbo out there for this engine... most I find say they are for 2003 and older. I plan a bbk cold air. bbk headers and flow master cat back duals for starters. any other ideas / suggestions would be great.

2. James Carr

James Carr sleep-er noun = fusing speed with secrecy

I have never had any trouble running the T3/t4 in 60mm but I'm cheap and just want to make noise and smoke I buy from e-bay or whatever I can find in the local scarp yard (with in reason)

3. James Carr

4. Fatal1ty

Fatal1ty New Member

would that suffice to produce 300-400 horsepower with a 3.8L is that power range even doable?

5. Fatal1ty

Fatal1ty New Member

6. James Carr

it has been done but you should consider the other aspects of you build how much are you willing to spend to get 3-400 hp?

7. Fatal1ty

Fatal1ty New Member

lets say you had 5,000 to put in what would you do?

8. Fatal1ty

Fatal1ty New Member

lets say you had 5,000 to put in what would you do?

9. Fatal1ty

Fatal1ty New Member

I am also considering just doing the basic mods , throttle body 65 mm, exhaust, throttle spacer. cold air intake. what would be gained by trying to bore and stroke a 3.8 how big can you go and keep dependability as an everyday driver? eventually swap in a 347 stroker carburated.

James Carr likes this.
  10. James Carr

ok we need to talk..... i havent forgot about you just having a busy day at work

11. James Carr

after re reading what you posted if I had $5000 play dollars to sink into a mustang all at once you could buy some really nice Saleen and Cobra mustang on the market for that price if you read this and still want to talk v6 build we can, but several here on this forum have done great wright ups on builds in the build threads ......Me I'm cheap I run under 300hp and whip the piss out of my Mustang I want something for nothing and I want my something to last forever if i blow it up it's back to the junkyard ....another used short block and I'm off again stock cam head work gasket match and SEAT TIME SEAT TIME SEAT TIME ......bigger injectors intake work more seat time tune tune tune until you become one with your machine and I would never use a Carburetor again ......ever.....even if we got hit with a nuke that tech is to old (remember there is 100 years of automotive Steam technology that nobody uses any more)there is a reason carburetors are on the back burner. If you need to go back to school to learn new tech or if you have never been to school GO! don't throw you money away on Throttle body spacers or name brand cold air intake

now my build recipe and yours will differ what do you want your engine to do, to be, do you want people to look at you or do you want to stealth around killing Honda civics on a 40 dig at 3 am

drift? Drag race? scca? car meet?

my build is simple STOCK 4.2 block 3.8 stud griddle
    gasket match intake Stock heads log exhaust to a t3/t3 55mm micro squirt with two extra 19lbs injectors 65mm throttle body cam is a 44-700-9 - Xtreme Energy™ Hydraulic Roller Tappet Camshaft 93 octane diablo sport tune, truck clutch 5 speed 7.5 with a Ranger LSD on 4:10 sub-frame connectors full cage no interior BUT A/C tubular front suspension coil overs blah blah blah Ive had the car since 2009 it's a 2000 we love each other....

12. Fatal1ty

Fatal1ty New Member

for right now i just want to stick to basic easy upgrades considering the v6 and possible internal mods I think.

James Carr likes this.
  13. James Carr

basic easy upgrades would be FIRST get your car running premo new plugs wires complete service new cam synchronizer then switch to synthetic oil .....after that buy a sport tune (doesn't matter who's ) find out what shop does the best dyno work in your area buy some time let them fine tune your tune what i did after that was go with a power adder nitrous is nice but you gotta pay to play and don't get greedy! or your ass will be finding a new motor READ READ READ the more you know the less you will blow. or go with a turbo but by that time you will know what you intend to do with your car besides melt tires into pools of tar pit juice ......get back to me on your first upgrades I will be around

14. Fatal1ty

Fatal1ty New Member

okay got car home found it had a cold air intake already, true dual flow masters, 17 in wheels and tires, msd wires. will see what plugs it has tomorrow.. I want the ngk iridiums. I ordered the power stop evolution drilled and slotted rotors and pads from american muscle.

James Carr likes this.
  15. James Carr

save your money on those brake parts unless your just buying them for the looks

16. Fatal1ty

Fatal1ty New Member

supposedly they are supposed to stop you better? in the end they will look nice to lol

17. James Carr

look nice yes..... in-order for you to stop better than what you have you will need to be going plenty fast....trust me man your just buying them cause they look nice put your money to good use buy your tuner sct, diablo, anything is your car an auto or manual? in any case get some gears so you can feel what you have

18. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

What do you want from the car? Could you set measurable goals? Such as accelerates to 60 mph in such time, brakes from 60 mph in such time, or holds x amount of lateral g's?

Throwing parts at it without a plan is an excellent path to dissatisfaction.

Lastly, tires make the car.

James Carr likes this.
  19. Fatal1ty

Fatal1ty New Member

it is a 5spd

James Carr likes this.
  20. Fatal1ty

Fatal1ty New Member

so far i've found it has true duals maybe flowmaster. no h or x pipe. cold air of some unknown brand. tires and wheels have been switched from 16 to 17 not sure of the tire brand side wall says fierce instinct. msd wires, with platinum plugs. lower control arms haven't been switched out yet... might through in some tubular or bbk square boxed control arms.