Type of Oil for 3.8L V6

M

MedicTech

Just wondering what type of oil would be the best for the 3.8L V6?  Having a Corvette also, I have always ran Castrol 20W50 in it as well as all my autos for many years...

Will Castrol 20W50 be okay for the 3.8L???

M

MilleniumMustang

alot of guys here broke thier engines in with Mobil 1 synthetic.. although its recommended you switch to synthetic after 5000-10,000 miles of the engine " breaking in"  your car has what 50k?  Id suggest running the factory grade, i believe 5w30, for a while, or switch to a synthetic blend,   Oil is oil...

I run Mobil 1 synthetic in my 2000, 5w30.. changed every 5000 miles..

J

Junior2561

same here, i just rolled over 9,000 miles on Thursday. I got her one year ago the 16th of Nov.

M

MedicTech

Thanks guys.  Just picked up the 1995 yesterday and wanted to go ahead and do a full service on it before any miles accumulated.  Guess Ill go ahead and use the Mobil-1 Synthetic 5W30 and see how it goes...

Thanks again...

S

SlowAsStock

When I first switched to synthetic I put in Mobil 1. Now I use Valvoline SynPower. Theres absolutely no difference except $10/case and a name. People get their panties in a wad talking about "Yeah, gotta get Mobil 1.." it doesnt make a difference, unless you wanna be the hot car with the expensive oil. And yeah, were 5w30.

F

fastv6

Would it be OK to put 5w-30 in a 2001? The new oil standard is 5w-20 and synthetic oil of that type is rare.(and expensive) The engine didnt change for 2001 so I dont think it would hurt anything.

M

MilleniumMustang

I think ford did that for 2001 because they wanted a cheap and easy way to make gain ONE MORE MPG... seriously.. I heard this somewhere.. its possible,  

you can run whatever oil you want in your car, as long as it meets conditions.. 5w30 is fine..so is 5w20...

R

rick0636

Castrol Syntech 5w-30 full synthetic, on second change with it, about 6,000 miles with no problems so far, I have used Castrol Oils a lot in the past too, find them to be a good product...

;D

R

rick0636

Ford is a lot like Sears and other big companies, with stuff like oil they take bids and buy from the highest bidder who makes the product to their specs.  It used to be Havoline oil, its another brand now, forget what I was told it is, but they dont make anything except cars folks.

K

KTBug

I think Ford uses Quaker Sludge err, uh State, yeah thats it.