Unprogram a key and remote?

Quiksilver1284

SVT at last
Hey guys this probably sounds like a weird question but here goes...

I just bought an 01 mustang and it came with only 1 remote and only 1 key. This means there is someone running around here with keys to my car.

Now if I understand this correctly, our keys have a chip in them that the computer has to recognize before the car will start. So is there a way I can delete/remove the code for the key that I don't have rendering it useless if they try to start the car?

Also, I remember reading somewhere that our cars can remember 4 codes for our keyless entry remotes. Is there a way that I can also delete/remove the code for the keyless entry remote I don't have? Even if it means I have to buy 3 more remotes to do somehow bump the other code out of the memory, I will.

Thanks, Erik

klotzstang

Hey guys this probably sounds like a weird question but here goes...

I just bought an 01 mustang and it came with only 1 remote and only 1 key. This means there is someone running around here with keys to my car.

Now if I understand this correctly, our keys have a chip in them that the computer has to recognize before the car will start. So is there a way I can delete/remove the code for the key that I don't have rendering it useless if they try to start the car?

Also, I remember reading somewhere that our cars can remember 4 codes for our keyless entry remotes. Is there a way that I can also delete/remove the code for the keyless entry remote I don't have? Even if it means I have to buy 3 more remotes to do somehow bump the other code out of the memory, I will.

Thanks, Erik
You need 1 more key, as it takes 2 to program a third. It cost me about $12 for a blank key on ebay, $1.75 to get it cut at Ace Hardware, and $35 to get it programmed by a locksmith.

To program the remote, turn the ignition switch on and off until the door locks open and close once, by them selves. Then push any button on the remote, and if you get it right, the remote will start working. If you have more than one, they must be all programed at the same time. You can reprogram only the one you have if you want.
If you had two keys, you turn one on and off, then the second, then the third, forth, etc. But you need two keys.
My ex-wife trie taking my car, I never got the keys back, so I had the same problem you do.
Good luck!

Quiksilver1284

SVT at last
Thanks for the reply. I got the remotes done at least. So I'm not totally getting one thing. I only have 1 key, so can a locksmith program the second one? or did you mean you had the locksmith program your third key?

BlkY2k

You can get another key made and programed at any dealership. I`ve had it done b/c only 1 key. It will run you about $75, but they need the car and the key. G/L

SteveC

You can have your single key and ECU reprogrammed by a locksmith or a dealer (or a auto shop with a full NGS programmer).

This will make the engine only start with the reprogrammed key.

If you lived near Cincinnati, I could do it for you since I have a NGS. I would get a new second key though.

Quiksilver1284

SVT at last
Unfortunately, I'm near New Orleans. So if I order a key from ebay, I could probably cut it myself at Wal-Mart for free (I work there) and then get a lock smith/auto shop with an NGS programmer to do my old key and new key?