Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

V6 Swap question

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Jonathan Webster, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Jonathan Webster

Jonathan Webster New Member

Hi, I'm new to the forums. I just got a 2001 Mustang convertible for 350$ that has a bad engine. I was trying to figure out what would be the most cost effective way of getting it up and running.

Issue: Engine has a really bad knocking (Sounds like it will explode at any moment)

I have a buddy that has a 4.0 out of a 1992 Ranger (tran and engine). Is it possible to swap that in?

New to engines but an engineer by trade so hit me with technical explanations and I will look up what I don't understand. ; )

Thanks!

2. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

Anything is possible with enough money and skills. Best bet is to replace it with a 2000.5 thru 2004 3.8

Harper and Jonathan Webster like this.
  3. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

But just a heads up. I assume the 4.0 swap would be more hassle than its worth. I have yet to see anyone perform the swap so there must be a reason.

Jonathan Webster likes this.
  4. Serpent

Serpent Member

local salvage yard. many will sell and install a similar replacement.

5. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

3.8 and 4.2 are related engines. Idk if the 4.0 even has the same bell housing bolt pattern.

KISS: use a 3.8/4.2 donor or rebuild what you got

6. Jonathan Webster

Thanks, guys!! I can see this forum will be a great resource for me! (and hopefully my posts for others)

Since the car has 180k on it should I look for a full motor/trans combo with low miles or just replace the engine and then do the transmission once it goes? Like I said I'm looking for cheap to get it running before the summer ends. I want to drive it around a little before Winter hits.

On the above comment, a friend suggested just pulling the cylinder/injector/plug for the problematic cylinder and just running it that way until I have time to do a full rebuild/swap.(Winter) Thoughts/concerns on that?

I had a feeling this would come up. I couldn't find any posts about someone doing this which had me concerned. Lol!

"Use a 3.8/4.2 donor"
    I have a line on an engine with a blown head gasket that I can get for free. Thoughts on fixing that one vs the one I have?

"rebuild what you got"
    Given how hard it's knocking, I have a feeling a rebuild will cost more than what I am willing to pay. (crank is probably shot and in need of machine shop work or replaced)

I know that's a lot of questions/comments but it would help in deciding what swap to do long term.

7. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

Look for a neutral balanced crank 3.8L used motor from years 2001 to 2004. Keep all your original sensors and put them on the new/(used) motor. Assume the trans is automatic. Would just keep your original as the replacement may have different OCC teeth (notches) inside the transmission which, due to the current tune, will screw up the instrument cluster and engine running performance until you figure out the number of teeth and change the tune accordingly.

8. Jonathan Webster

So then your suggestion is a donor motor. Would you mess with the one that has a head gasket issue? I can get it for free. . . .

9. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

Easy to work on with the motor out of the car. Replacing a head gasket is not too difficult with a 1/2" torque wrench. Must use new head bolts which are torque to yield types. And, must follow the instructions of how much and the sequence of torquing the heads.

10. Phil II

What are you hoping to achieve or end up with? You could consider the 4.2 v6 swap.

11. Jonathan Webster

I think I will try to get the free motor and go from there. . .

Mainly a convertible my wife has always wanted. Trying to keep it simple.

I started documenting my progress here: My first engine swap.

12. Jonathan Webster

Another Question on this. . .

I have access to an 01 Windstar. From the research I did, the internal is the same as the Mustang engine I have.

Thoughts on pulling the insides out of that to fix the knocking in the one I have? I would be putting new bearings, rings, and gaskets in. Since the crank on the mustang is shot, I would be using the Windstar parts for that.

Thoughts?

13. Serpent

Serpent Member

you might want to message this guy:

Orange 94's "NO PULP" Build Thread

or on the sn95 forum, a user G8monkey. both have done a lot of v6 work with different motors and so forth. they may be able to help you.

14. Phil II

How do you know your current crankshaft is shot? Sounds like you should start with what you already have. Tear it down and evaluate. Labor, tools, and time.

15. Jonathan Webster

You are correct, I don't for sure. But based on the amount of knocking, I fear the worst.