Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Valve Sizes

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by V6procharged, Dec 24, 2012.

1. V6procharged

V6procharged Moderator Staff Member

what size valves can be used with the stock seats? wanting to run 1.94/1.56 but havnt found a sure answer what can be used. Also, what guides do you fellas run that have had head work done?

2. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

I have to ask first, how much power are you looking to make? Is this for your car?

Stock valves will support well over 600rwhp with the right cam.

3. V6procharged

yea, it is for my car. wanting to do another set with 1.94/1.56 valves. im just wanting 500rwhp for now. but would rather be able to use lower boost to achieve that goal. want to go into the motor once and be done. talked to phil earlier and he said that those valves will fit the stock seat, as he is running the same thing.

4. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

Dont waste your money Brandon. You will make 500rwhp with 15psi stock valves. What cam are you running?

5. V6procharged

dont consider it as wasting money, i think of it as doing it right the first time :).. will be a custom cam spec'd to flow numbers and whatever else.

6. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

What cam is in it now? We went with a .580 lift cam on my setup. Should pull like a beast to 6000+rpm.

Have you ever replaced the bearings in your motor since you bought it used? Also do you remember the tq specs on the 11mm main cap studs?

7. V6procharged

cam in it now is a 216/224 110lsa and it says gross valve lift is .507 but the lobe lift is .317. i think comp based that .507 off of 1.6 rockers instead of 1.73. so 1.73*.317=.548 lift.

i have not replaced anything bearing wise on this motor. supposedly had 6k miles on it when i got it (assuming it had new bearings installed) and i have only put 8k miles on it myself. i couldnt tell ya what the tq specs were, but when i asked Heath @ delk about the girdle, he sent me this:

B... the girdle kit comes with 16 washers- 8 go under the girdle and 8 go on top - between the girdle and nut. Check all the clearances ... main cap to girdle , crank to girdle,rod to girdle, etc. Torque is 65# on moly if you have the 11mm studs, and 86# on moly for the 12mm. Torque in three steps... for example: 20# then 40#, then 65#... Let me know if I can help.. Heath

8. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

Valve lift is lobe lift x rocker ratio

9. davidcseifert

davidcseifert that V6 guy

well if you need some 1.94/1.56 used valves you know where some are :p haha

10. V6procharged

yea i know, just weird why they base their lift number off 1.6 rockers.

yup. if they arent extremely expensive at ferrea, i may need to borrow 2 valves to send to them :D

11. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

I'd swap in the tried and true 218/224 114* .550 cam. Be careful the new heads dont flow huge amounts of exhaust or you will run into reversion issues and have to run a smaller ex duration. Thats why I'd keep stock valves in it and just give the new cam a healthy lift.

12. V6procharged

it will probably be something smaller like that for lowend. idk if i want to go with something huge, the turbo will support the topend. you mean be careful if the new heads flow huge amounts of exhaust that i will have reversion issues? if so, why would it have reversion issues? i plan to run about a .600 lift cam.

13. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

More exhaust flow is going to be more back pressure. Turbo's are different from the sc you're use to. You need to maintain velocity going out the head to the down pipe, if you have too much back pressure it's going to slow the ex down, worst case is it will start to be sucked back into the combustion chamber. This is why people go with reverse split duration cams to prevent this. Now if you were running a large shaft turbo with q trim wheel it would be a different story.

Also .600 lift is a lot for 62mm turbo, .580 is too much as well but I'm going to step up to a s372 or 6768. For 500rwhp I'd run stock valves with gasket match and valve job. Big valves, .600 lift cam is like you're building for 700+rwhp. A setup built for 500rwhp that makes 500rwhp will run better than a setup built for 700+ that makes 500. Dont be scared to make power with boost, when in doubt over octane.

I've got the corky bell maximum boost book here you can borrow. I've read through it a few times and still refer back to it on occasion.

14. V6procharged

i shouldnt have too much back pressure with my headers/crossover. also have a .81 housing.

how does the lift affect anything with the turbo? i would rather make power with less boost to prevent having to over octane.

i think i have a pdf file of that book. will have to check and see.

15. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

What compression ratio is your motor? How much max boost you plan to run? Google "turbo exhaust theory" then google "turbo cam and reversion". j was running a 222/218 .590 114 cam, he was running twin gt3076r's. Lou's was 218/224 .55 114 with twin 57's and made 660 with imrc's. Casey made 826rwhp with a monster cam but he had no powerband below 4500rpm and the car only run low 11's:wtf:

16. V6procharged

supposed to be 9.2 based on stock heads, but with bigger valves and a little less CC volume from them and surfacing, it will be a little higher im sure. plan is 15lbs with electronic boost controller, and less boost for DD'ing. like i said, thinking something smaller for better lowend but bad thing is, if i do a wide lsa, i wont have any lope :( and yea, kinda weird for caseys car to only run that, even spinning i would think it would be quicker.

btw, what kinda guides you using?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2012
  17. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

18. V6procharged

just the factory ones? wonder if they are the same material as the mustang ones. what size valves are you running? and got any flow numbers?

19. V6procharged

Been looking into another idea. Can you run 2.0/1.6 valves and not have any problems with vtp clearance? i know its based off how much lift but tom y's pistons (what i have) have a valve relief cut in them for larger valves and the largest he runs is the 1.94/1.56.

20. koss

koss New Member

Can someone advice which brand and p/n 1.94/1.56 valves better to use?

How about valve guides and valves seats for these valve size, should I have them custom made or should i customize my 3.8 heads? Engine will stay N/A.