Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Vibration at certain RPM

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Russell0102, Jan 10, 2019 at 8:27 PM.

1. Russell0102

Russell0102 New Member

Hello, new here. Just bought an 01 Mineral Gray V6 5-speed, 167k miles (we also have an almost identical 2002, daughter's car, automatic that has just turned 60k miles). First few days with the 5-speed car and whether in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear there is a terrible vibration throughout the car at roughly 1700-1800 rpm. Runs fine below 1500 and above 2000, and the only thing I know of is the seller put in new plugs and wires before selling. Idle is good, starts fine, no lights - any suggestions where to begin searching for a solution? Happy that I found this forum - daughter and I plan to spend the next couple years customizing our "twins."

2. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

How about in neutral? How is 1st gear in those rpm ranges?

Could be as simple as tread seperation on a tire or a tire (or multiple tires) out of balance.

3. Russell0102

Russell0102 New Member

Sure seems more like an engine issue, I need to test in neutral/1st/2nd gear, good suggestion. I should have been more clear in my description that it isn't a tire/suspension vibration, I'm confident it's engine or somewhere within the drivetrain. Wish it was tires, that would be easy to fix - thanks for your reply!

4. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

Is this under all load conditions or only during hard acceleration?

There are honestly so many things it could be. Just need more info. Try to be as specific as possible. Important factors are vehicle speed, throttle position (cruising, wide open, closed), does it do it in neutral/1st/2nd? Etc... do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel? Brake pedal? Can you feel it in under your butt? ( not being silly, a bad trans mount can cause a bad vibration but you would feel that more under your butt).