Vortech throwing belts

02edge

First start up today no coolant in the valve cover but right after i start it the belt comes off the front of the alternator half way am I missing spacers. Between the vortech and mounting bracket or bracket and engine what am I doing wrong

JeffSeb

I had to get a 98 v6 idler pulley for mine, it kept wandering on the stock one. Finally threw the belt a block away from my house so I just swapped it out.

02edge

whats the difference in pulleys and you changed the one on the blower or by the alternator

JeffSeb

Between the alternator and the blower on the top. The 98 was about twice as wide, haven't had a problem since

02edge

do you know if you have any washers or shims between the engine and bracket or bracket and blower the only place I put washers was all the way on the outside so the head of the bolts aren't on the surface also I was just reading through the install guide and it shows relocating a coil capacitor down by the crank pulley does that ring a bell because I definatley didn't do that?either way car started right up had one small vac leake but now idles at 21 on the gauge so im happy

JeffSeb

hmm.

I too only have the lock washers on the outside of the brackets.

I don't know anything about a coil capacitor

You can see my huge idler pulley in this picture:

Sorry about the dirty engine bay

02edge

after looking closer i realized my ac pulley is sticking out around a 1/2" farther than the other pulleys now just to figure out why and how to fix it

JeffSeb

That's odd. If I remember its 4 bolts holding it on, no way to adjust that as they don't run perpendicular to the belt but rather parallel to it. Check to make sure you have the bracket in the right holes

02edge

Pulled it off and am double checking everything but i started thinking mine is a 00 and the guy who I bought it from had it on an 02 the mounting bracket wouldn't be different would it?

02edge

just took it all apart an put it back together ac pulley seemed to be out of alignment but than I realied it wasnt i just couldnt get my straight edge in there right but heres what happens immediatey after start upphoto (10).jpg

JeffSeb

Yep, that's what mine did too. Notice how rounded the edge of the idler pulley is. As soon as it gets close to the edge it flys off. You can see by the shiny part on it how skinny it is compared to the belt. I will go take the same angle picture of my setup, you will see how much bigger/wider it is.

JeffSeb

just took it all apart an put it back together ac pulley seemed to be out of alignment but than I realied it wasnt i just couldnt get my straight edge in there right but heres what happens immediatey after start upView attachment 153112

I'm interested to see what numbers you put down when you get it all running, we have similar setups other than the intercooler

Edit:
As a temporary fix, you could try adjusting that idler pulley out some. But even then the width of the pulley would make me nervous that it would come off again.

02edge

Funny I'm on my way home from the hardware store just bought a longer bolt and some spacers well see if it fixes it and than ill look into something similar to yours I wonder if I should go with a plastic pulley instead

JeffSeb

I don't know what your finances are like right now, but 26.00 bought me quite a bit of peace of mind FWIW

02edge

So I temp fixed it which is all I really need since it won't be on the road for a while still and just need it to datalog and stuff but when it's in neutral and I build Rpms but it doesn't get into boost I tied my blow off into the brake booster and than the middle nipple on the windstar should it not be with the brake booster or is it something else

JeffSeb

I think you are ok with the plumbing. what is your boost gauge doing? I can go check but I think mine only goes to 0 in neutral revving.