Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Water pump question on the 3.7

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by 2011 Kona Blue, May 12, 2014.

1. 2011 Kona Blue

2011 Kona Blue Active Member

So just the other day my father was out to dinner and next to the wings place there was a local car cruise. There were about 30 or so cars parked which my father made his way over. My father made his way over to a gentleman that had a new 5.0 and began a conversation with this man and his wife.

During the conversation my father had mentioned to this other 5.0 owner how his son (me, lol) had a V6 model. Some how the conversation lead into V6 models and according to my father , this other gentleman began talking about the V6 and its water pump location.

This 5.0 owner began telling my father how a mechanic told him the V6 has the water pump in such a hidden hard to reach location should it fail, it will cause pistons to break. He told my father the water pump in the 5.0 is located in a different location and if the water pump broke, no pistons would break.

Just curious , but does anybody know what that guy was talking about. Now obvious if a water pump fails the engine can and will overheat so you don't want to drive all over with a busted water pump but what's this about pistons breaking easily? Anybody heard of this?

Does the location of the water pump on the 3.7 cause pistons to break should there be a failure?

2. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

I'm moderately sure that guy was speaking from ignorance. More importantly, yours is not broken and will likely serve you well for a long time.

3. 2011 Kona Blue

2011 Kona Blue Active Member

Yes, my water pump is perfect. Lol. I was just wondering what this guy was talking about. I had a feeling this guy was wrong and didn't know what he was talking about. Lol

4. falconguy

falconguy Member

It is quite easy to replace. I , of course had to remove the belt and move the intake but you could probably do it from under the car. Very easy to replace. I did mine two weeks ago. However a word of warning. If the impeller broke it could fracture the aluminum housing and allow water into the engine which would destroy it. If you hear any noises from the pump replace it. The guy was 50% right.