Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What can the 2005 block take?

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by StupidTodd, Jun 15, 2005.

1. StupidTodd

StupidTodd New Member

I'm planning on buying a second block to build an engine ground up from.

I want to stick with the 4.0 block in the new 05 mustang, but I am wondering, what can that block actually take?

I mean, if I get the best pistons/rods/cam/crank/heads/etc/etc where is the point that the block will be the weak point?

I was thinking (hoping) to push maybe 20-28 PSI (not sure if I want twin turbo's or a super, but that's beside the point) and perhaps a 100-125 shot of N2O. I know, it's overkill, blah blah blah blah... but at what HP will the side of this block just blow out?

Also, would anyone know how much you can safely bore the 4.0 too?

I want to keep my stock motor, in case I blow the one I am building, I won't be without my Mustang. :)

Thanks for any info.

2. drew_shipley

drew_shipley Bullitt #5023

From my understanding of the 4.0 it is at its max displacement. No one really knows the extent of the 4.0 as its fairly new to the Mustang world and heavy heavy modding.

3. intermision

intermision I'm a Pirate!!! ARRRRRR

Wasn't the 4.0 originaly like a 2.9l or somthing? That would mean that it has already bean stroked, bored or both, a lot.

4. Totaled108

Totaled108 Its not my car

So no one has yet to see one blow? Does any know how thick the side walls are? I can imagine it running a good amount, seeing as how its balaced fairly well. What is it, 60 degree is better for V6s?
    Only way to find out is to super/turbocharger the stock block with a nice tune and keep turning the boost up slowly and see when and if it blows. :uhh:

5. SatinSilver2000

SatinSilver2000 Ni-San-Ni

20-28PSI? :wtf:

Jeez...you're not running a supra! lol...and that does sound just a tad excessive, dontcha think? I mean sure the numbers are impressive, but that's a LOT of boost. Have you considered maybe only 15psi? I mean, to run boost numbers like that, you're asking to blow that motor to bits. It was bored and stroked from something like 2.7 or 2.8L, and there is a DOHC kit for it, btw... there's a thread about it lurking somewhere. But really, get a set of twin turbos, a big happy intercooler and you'll be more than pleased with the results. I'm not sure if you've ever felt that kind of power, but if you're running that much boost, it will be difficult to control the car once the boost comes on without TCS on.. well, that's just my 2 cents.

Good luck!

_Kristie_

6. BISKIT

BISKIT New Member

Very wisely put Kristie.

Seriously, if you wanted those kinds of numbers then you really should consider just saving for a GT. That is a powerplant that will handle quite a bit of aftermarket abuse before breaking.

As far as the stock 4.0 Cologne engine, you are right. It is descended from a line of smaller displacement engines and in it's current form is used as the powerplant for the ranger truck.

I have heard varying results with the use of power adders, but as long as you do the necessary fuel system upgrades, tune the car properly and not get too greedy too quickly you should be fine.

7. StupidTodd

StupidTodd New Member

I know my numbers for PSI are excessive... but that was the point... I wanted to know at what it would blow.

I already figured the block could take 15 PSI without a major catastrophe (given propper internals/fuel upgrades of course).

Saving for a GT? Seriously? I get that kind of responce on a V6 mustang forum?

I had initially thought about waiting a few years, and just swapping my engine for the Super Cobra Jet (or other variant). But after much time on various forums, hearing the GT owners bash the V6er's, I decided I'd rather build a V6 that whups some ass.

Beating a V6 with a V8 is like beating up a retarded third grader.
    Beating a V8 with a V6 is like bruce lee taking on an evil ninja squad. (especially if the V8 is heavily modded)

Anyhow, thanks everyone for all the input!

And if anyone does end up blowing their 4.0, let me know what boost you were running at ;)

8. SatinSilver2000

You're kidding. A super cobrajet in an 05?
    Yeah, go back to carbuerators. And while we're at it, why don't you switch back to drum brakes and throw out your discs and ABS, too. To me, going backward is not the answer, and putting a carb'd motor into a modern car just sounds a little bit retarded. :)

-Kristie

9. BISKIT

BISKIT New Member

On here you will get it all the time.

See the thing is there are people here on 3.8 who want a fast car, and there are people who want to make their Essex or Cologne's into one bada$$ ride.

For the first category it really doesn't make much sense to spend too much money on their V6's because granted power can be made out of em, but at the cost of quite a bit of money.

For the second group I say tinker away!!! Heck, I am one of them. :D

10. SatinSilver2000

If I still lived in Whittier, I would join your LA Mustang Club. Too bad I'm in Iowa now :/

-Kristie

11. my04v6

my04v6 Fed. Law enforcment agent

speaking of boost 27 isnt that much.. my vr4 gallant was running 33..and i never once blew it up.. just depends on how much you want to put into it is all

:)

12. SatinSilver2000

oh hush you, with your 4G63 or whatever the engine code is for the EVO.
    that year galant is weird looking, anyways. That's different, because that's an engine that's MADE FOR TURBO. The Cologne 4.0 is different. It's not made for a turbo.

-Kristie

13. BISKIT

BISKIT New Member

Well any time you come back out to LA, let us know and you shall be one of our honored guests!!!

BTW, is there any way you could choose a color other than pink for your text. I can hardly see it. :D

Cheers

14. bigdogcq

bigdogcq I paint the M's on M&M's

OK, I know this might seem stupid at this point but what year stang do you have?
    I just get an odd feeling here.
    Once you get the block you should be able to figure out all the specs, I would think a shop would be able to tell you everything you need to know.

15. my04v6

i liked the sleeper look... yeah i know they looked funny... a 4 door in the 12's is so much fun on the streets.. know one ever knew... except the cops...lol..

16. SatinSilver2000

Neat...I want my car to be a sleeper, too :D

So, what happened to your Galant? Do you still have it?

-Kristie

17. my04v6

nope... i gave it up.. DSM is a lifestyle... either you love them or you hate them... i was always nickel and dimin' it... it was fast but needed alot to keep it there.. fun while i had it.

i still have some friends that are into it...

4g63- nice... most people would have no idea what that is.

John

18. 38stang

38stang Active Member

The 05 GT motors are weak in the strength department. If you boost one or put N20 on it you’re just going to make a nice picture window in the side of your block. Even an article from Procharger says to keep boost under 7-8 PSI or longevity will be an issue. The rods in these motors are very small (about the size of your pinky ) and powdered metal.

19. SatinSilver2000

No, it's not that the motors are weak-- beyond 7-8 PSI it starts to be dangerous for almost ANY motor (save for a factory forced induction car). You need a substantially strong block-- basically, you need to find a big, strong block out of something like a diesel or made out of a suitably strong material, and with any high boost forced induction application, it's reccomended that you beef up components like rods, pistons, crank, etc, no matter what it is you're running. Most cars are set up like that these days. I'd like to see you run 30 PSI on a factory 3800 V6 out of a pontiac grand prix GTP... it just can't be done. That much boost would blow out the motor.

7-8 psi will provide a substantial boost to the 4.6L V8's performance. In any case, it's not like you're going to find a better powerplant in the 05's body. I suggest checking out a powerstroke diesel turbo and using that to build a good high-boost motor. :) You'll have torque for days and make decent hp... like 400hp and oh... 800 ft/lbs tq...

hehehe.

Just a thought..
    -Kristie

20. Tnt3932

Tnt3932 Active Member

im getting the feeling from reading this thread that the 3.8 motors are more mod-friendly then the new 4.0s? Ive been boosting 11psi for about 2 months with no probs yet...then again my car isnt even a year old.