Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What can the 2005 block take?

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by StupidTodd, Jun 15, 2005.

1. SatinSilver2000

SatinSilver2000 Ni-San-Ni

Yes and no. The OHC design of the new motor makes it a lot easier to mod certain things, but the old 3.8 is very responsive to mods. :)

-Kristie

2. 38stang

38stang Active Member

No you don’t understand. The 05 4.6L is weak, weaker than a 96-04 4.6L. The rods are junk in the 05’s no questions asked. They’re smaller and more brittle than any 4.6L built to date.
    And how about the pistons in the new 4.6L. they have a thin deck, the top ring is close to the top edge of the deck and the top ring is made of stainless steel. Stainless is not the best alloy metal to use for a top ring.

3. drew_shipley

drew_shipley Bullitt #5023

Also, you'll usually throw a rod or kill the internals of an engine before you break the block. The block shouldn't be an issue unless you're pushing a crazy amount of boost. It has been proven the 3.8 block is fine under quite a large amount of boost, no one knows about the 05s as no one has ran a retarded amount of boost on their 05 yet.

It is obvious that the 3.8/4.2 block is much better suited for fi than the 4.0 as it is much beefier. The OHC 4.0 though should respond better to bolt ons than the 3.8/4.2.

4. drew_shipley

drew_shipley Bullitt #5023

Like I said in my last post the 3.8 will take more boost than the 4.0. Hell Justin is running 17 psi on a stock block, Pete is running high psi on a stock 4.2 block. With the right tune a 3.8/4.2 can handle quite a bit of boost.

5. tomzac

tomzac 232 or 330

I believe Pete said in an earlier thread that the 4.0 crank had some flexing issues at high hp/rpms. If that were the case, this block/engine would need some strengthening.

6. StupidTodd

StupidTodd New Member

First off, thanks to everyone who actually provided input into my question.

It seems that starting with the 4.0 block (05 Mustang) might be a poor choice, if I intend to run a high boost.

I was already planning to build the engine from the ground up (new internals), but really just wanted to know what the best choice would be for the block.

Can you strengthen an engine block? (I don't think you can, but one of the posts mentioned something about it, so I figured I'd ask)

I want to stay with a V6 setup. Should I consider putting a 3.8/4.2 into my 05 Mustang? Wouldn't that be going backwards? Or, since I'm building the engine from the ground up anyhow, does it make a difference?

7. flamingpony

flamingpony New Member

i belive there are no forged rods or pistons in the after market for the 4.0 .i know ranger guys have lots of trouble

8. StupidTodd

StupidTodd New Member

I've already been in contact with supersixmotorsports.com who said they have the pistons/rods/etc available for the 4.0.

9. SatinSilver2000

SatinSilver2000 Ni-San-Ni

Oh...I see... I figured since it was the same 4.6L so it would be the same...
    sigh, sounds like ford is trying to save money by using junk parts again...

:rolleyes:

10. tomzac

tomzac 232 or 330

I don't think you can strengthen a block persay, (can you shotpeen a block?) but you can reinforce the areas under the most stress ei. better main/rod studs and bolts, rods, pistons, main girdle blah blah. And a good rotating assembly balance.

11. chrismullins99

chrismullins99 New Member

yup the 05 4.6 is a weak motor, it responds well to mods with 3v per cyl but rods are being thrown left and right when paired up with a blower or turbo

12. 38stang

38stang Active Member

Ford announced a new recall for the 05 GT Mustangs.
    The recall is for those who have a lack of power or a ticking sound coming from the bottom end of the engine. The fix is to replace the engine.
    It sounds like a TSB in the way it is worded but it is a recall.

I talked to a guy I know and his friend and his friend has already had the ticking witch became a blown motor before he could get it to the dealer. The dealer replaced it under warranty before the recall was announced. His car only had a couple hundred miles on it when it blew.

I hope I don’t get this problem with my GT.

13. SFrymyah

SFrymyah Hi, I'm Steven

i love you.

14. SC-94-3.8

SC-94-3.8 New Member

Try looking around the exploder :) forums I have had two and the motors are quite stout. From what I have seen there are significant power adders available for them that just bolt on. On another note I was told by my local junk yard that just about every explorer that comes in the motor is running fine. They can not give the motors away as there is no market for them. (they don’t blow up) With the 05 supposedly sharing the same motor this may change as people start getting old explorer motors for cores.

As for boost and the max it will take. When you start talking the #s that you were the tune becomes all important. A bad tune and you can blow up a motor with 15lbs in minutes. A good tune can run 20lbs all day long. My 94 ran 50k miles with the V-2 in place and never skipped a beat. Infact it passes local smog the day before I pulled the motor due to the compression being around 70psi in all cylinders (the rings just wore out). So to answer your question if you do your homework you can probably push quite allot of PSI into those motors. But as we all know so well when you start pushing the envelope things can go wrong in a big hurry as all the parts and pieces have to work together for the motor to stay together. (a lot less margin for error)

15. TheStang00

TheStang00 New Member

ok... the pistons can be replaced, theres a difference between that and the block being weak, and you are totally mixing them together. and the new 4.6 IS NOT throwing any RODS. when someone says that it means pushrods, which that motor doesnt have. piston rods break, they dont throw. the old 428scj is actually a very powerful motor. although itd probably be better to get the 427. also give ford some time with the new motor, after all its a brand new motor. and they arent make unreliable motors just because u cant boost the crap out of it, thats a retarded statement, just replace the pistons and rods. im sure stock itll last just fine. anyway, go with the 4.0 block, no one here obviously really knows what itll handle, but you can get new pistons and whatnot, so might as well try it.

16. fantaomet

fantaomet New Member

Hi,

I don't know how much the 4,0 can take, but here in Europe the 2,9 Cosworth is beyond 500 bhp with forced induction.
    At 7 psi it produces over 300 bhp and 340 lb/ft and at 14 psi the power is over 460 bhp and 500 lb/ft
    The Cossie 2,9 24V is built on a, more or less, standard 2,9 bottom end, same as found in the 2,9 Ranger.
    The 2,9 don't like too much overbore as it leads to sealing problems since the bores start to flex. Still, some give it a 3mm overbore and swap in the 4,0 crank making it a 3,6 L.

As I understand, what kills the 2,9 block is high rpm combined with power adders. It is quite safe up to 6500 rpm in standard form, maybe as much as 7000 if it's rebalanced to finer tolerances. What usually blow is the main webs on bearing 2 and 3.

Since the 4,0 is realated to the 2,9 I expect the 2,9 experiences relate to the 4,0 as well. At least it should give you a clue of what to expect.

Two links to some who work with the 2,9 Cosworth:
    http://www.chevroletls1.com/ford_cosworth.html
    http://www.topbossperformance.co.uk/v624coseng.htm

I hope this help.

17. Aerosi665

Aerosi665 Beware of Imitators!

Good information. :thumbup:

18. victor6er

victor6er Slaphappy Dipwad

WTH is a 2,9. In Europe they don't use periods?
    Damned metric system..... lol

19. fantaomet

fantaomet New Member

Sorry for the misunderstanding. What I ment to write was 2 933 300 µL.
    The decimal point "," or "." is optional, depending on where you live.
    In Europe the "," is almost as usual as the "."

I hope this help.

Sorry for trying to contribute, it won't happen again.

20. jsheehan

jsheehan Legend Lime Man

Yep, just because they do something a different way than we do in almost every other part of the world they must be ****ed? Honestly, if you think about it, the metric system makes much more sense than the english system we have. How many inches in a foot? 12. How many feet in a yard? 3 How many feet in a mile? 5280. How much sense does any of that make? Almost none.

How many milimeters in a meter 1000? How many centimeters in a meter? 100. How many decimeteres in a meter? 10. how many meteres in a killometer? 1000

It works the same for masses, volumes, in fact for any measurable quantity.