Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What gears are best ?

Discussion in 'Personal Projects and Builds' started by StangJim, Dec 18, 2017.

1. StangJim

StangJim New Member

I'm deciding on 3.73 or 4.10s for my 2012 v6 auto but not sure which would be better for both track and street ? Mostly street

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    David Young likes this.
  2. David Young

David Young 5th Mustang

I went from the factory option 3.31 gears to 3.73 on my 2011 v6 automatic. Love them. If I drove a lot of miles to work the 3.31's or 3.55 would be best. My Mustang is most in town driving but we have an Edge Limited for the longer trips :)

StangJim likes this.
  3. StangJim

StangJim New Member

Have the 3.73 gave you any problems cause I hear they are better for manual ?

4. David Young

David Young 5th Mustang

A lot of people say go with 4.10 with the automatic and 3.73's with the manual, I don't know why. My 3.73's are the perfect gear for me. 2,000 rpm at 60 mph is fine, my last car was a 4 cylinder Dodge :( and at 60 mph it was doing 2,250 rpm. If you get new gears have someone 'good' do them. I couldn't find a speed shop that I trust so I had my local Ford dealer do them for $550, just for the labor :(. I bought the Ford Racing gears from American Muscle :). The only problem I have is 'traction'. Even with 255/45-18 Cooper Zeon RS3-A tires, they are easy to break loose. My automatic when shifting itself, barks second gear and chirps when going into third :)

StangJim likes this.
  5. StangJim

StangJim New Member

You really helped a lot man Thanks appreciate it ! Are you running a tune on your car ?