which camshaft synchronizer tool to use on 1999 F150 4.2 V6? grey or yellow?

Robert N

which camshaft synchronizer tool to use on 1999 F150 4.2 V6? grey or yellow?

I have gotten the 4 pc tool kit with 4 different colors the blue and black dont fit at all, i've tried the grey one and the yellow one.. still not starting with either. just need to know which one works with the syncro i have... the syncro i have has the half round C shape spinning rotor piece. The grey one and the yellow one will fit it.. but theyre 180 degrees different... so not sure which one it should be. the yellow one covers the full gap, the grey one only covers half the gap. both line up and fit about the same.

the chart doesnt really help either.

hoping someone knows for sure which tool to use.

Attachments

6 Shooter

Don't think you really need the tool. Without the tool, in the compression stroke, rotate the crank to TDC on cylinder 1 (passenger side front). Loosen the bold and washer that holds down the cam position sensor. Rotate the cam position sensor until it points to a 7:30 o'clock location. The factory setting is about 4:30 o'clock, but that stretches the wire harness too much. Unscrew the two screws on the black plastic top of the cam position sensor and remove the plastic top. Notice that the outside of this sensor has a sizable notch as shown above in the right side photo. The center portion of the sensor can be lifted up and rotated. When slid back down after some rotation, the tang that sticks up in the air should be in the middle of the sizable notch. Place the black plastic top back on the sensor and determine if the sensor is pointing to the 7:30 o'clock position. If not, lift up the black plastic top, lift up the center of the sensor, rotate the outer portion of the sensor to where the notch is pointing to the 7:30 o'clock position, then center the tang sticking up into the center of the notch.

Robert N

that makes sense to me.. if its at TDC then the tang should be in the center of the notch. having tried both tools that sets it barely in the notch on one side or the other... this is definitely worth a try. will do it tomorrow, weather permitting. thanks brother.

Robert N

Don't think you really need the tool. Without the tool, in the compression stroke, rotate the crank to TDC on cylinder 1 (passenger side front). Loosen the bold and washer that holds down the cam position sensor. Rotate the cam position sensor until it points to a 7:30 o'clock location. The factory setting is about 4:30 o'clock, but that stretches the wire harness too much. Unscrew the two screws on the black plastic top of the cam position sensor and remove the plastic top. Notice that the outside of this sensor has a sizable notch as shown above in the right side photo. The center portion of the sensor can be lifted up and rotated. When slid back down after some rotation, the tang that sticks up in the air should be in the middle of the sizable notch. Place the black plastic top back on the sensor and determine if the sensor is pointing to the 7:30 o'clock position. If not, lift up the black plastic top, lift up the center of the sensor, rotate the outer portion of the sensor to where the notch is pointing to the 7:30 o'clock position, then center the tang sticking up into the center of the notch.
well that didn't work either. would crank and kind of hit every once in a while, then kick back randomly. so is still out of time. not sure what to do.

Robert N

got to thinking everything over, this was a engine swap by the way.. and the only part i didnt do on reassembly was the spark plug wires...my buddy did and 2 of them were wrong. fixed that, and it started right up. engine was surging up and down a bit.. so not sure if i need to go back and use the tool now or not. but at least it ran! thanks for helping out.