Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why no independent rear suspension???

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by fafpak, Jul 28, 2005.

1. fafpak

fafpak stratus2.0 -> 3.8L=BLISS

I a n00b when it comes to stangs so bear with me if its already been covered in depth...

Correct me if I am wrong but I understand that the '03 cobra has an IRS.

So why the heck couldn't Ford carry the technology forward and place it in any of the '05 mustangs.

Again correct me if I am wrong, but the GT500 will also have a live rear axle. Its supposed to be faster than all mustangs of past, why not make it handle better also...or is there something I am missing about these new live rears...?

2. KTBug

KTBug - Kris -

Ford saves a lot of money by using a live axle. Besides, the only place you'll notice a difference is at the track.

There's always been, and probably always will be, an aftermarket for the Mustang. Ford knows you are going to junk about 50% of your stock parts in favor of aftermarket supposedly better parts. Why would they invest a ton of money in something you are going to throw away? ;)

3. Junior2561

Junior2561 [b]Junior[/b]

live rear = faster 1/4....more people would rather have the live rear then the IRS. Plus it was cheaper to do and with good suspension will still handle nicely.

4. fafpak

Meh, they forget some of us are still in school and dead a$$ broke.. :)

Interesting, I never looked at it that way, however I'm one of the few who would have prefered an IRS. Leaving campus via I295/Russel St. in B'more is a nightmare. Pot holes send my rear fish tailing...I have to cruise like 10 under whilse smaller displacements pass bye. :(...oh well

5. 6gofast

6gofast New Member

They handle so well that they put BMWs and Porches to shame on the track in Grand-Am Cup. http://www.stangnet.com/Mustang-News/FR500C-GRAND-AM-LEADER.html

The 05 mustang has a very refined axel geometry and the FR500C dominated the start of the season, so much so that they raised the minimum weight 2 or 3 times and the maximum gear ration lowered to 3.55:1.

6. fafpak

Oh, wow really impressive and quite an eye opener :thumbup:

7. hitmankb

hitmankb King

My Personal Opinion/Experience: Alot of people on many of the fourms that we visit, told me that the IRS is crap and that I wouldnt notice enough difference to justify the swap. My car is a street car, not a drag car or an auto X'ing car. Me being stubborn, I went ahead and swapped the entire suspension and brakes from an 03 cobra over to my 99 v6.

The results: Theres a bbbBBBBBBBIIIIIIGGGGGggg difference in the way the car handles and feels!!!!! The car now bites down in corners, and I mean bites down HARD! A friend that drives a vette found it hard to believe that he was in a mustang. Ride quality is noticeably better, but I dont know if thats due to the IRS or the bilsteins.. A friend driving behind me said that I was taking the off ramp near my house (10FWY La Cienaga N) 25 MPH faster than he could, I was doin about 55, he was doin about 30 in his stock 04 GT. He said that the body leaned/rolled more than normal in the turn. I guess that body roll was biting down giving me better grip!?

Problems Im still battling bump steer issues with the front. Engine still runs like crap. Looking to build another 4.2....

8. tomzac

tomzac 232 or 330

You probably know this. IRS allows more body roll while keeping the rear wheels perpendicular the road. More even contact with the tires means greater resistance to lateral shear. Also, body roll might be greater, but your CG is lower. Biggest reason for killing the IRS was money.

9. SHADOWstang99

SHADOWstang99 A.K.A slvRsrpnt

irs rides really nice, but i want traction!
    all i have is whel hop. :mad:

10. Kuplex

Kuplex Retired Admin

Bilsteins are awesome shocks/struts. They make an incredible difference over the stock ****.

11. tomzac

tomzac 232 or 330

Then sell your IRS, get a solid axle and a panhard bar.

12. fafpak

Lets trade.........cars!!! :crazy: (I can only dream :rolleyes: )