Window Tinting Class?

97micstang

Thinking of getting a side job to make some extra money.. thought why not tint car windows?

Cant find any classes in the CT area. would tutorial dvds teach me well enough on what to do? Obviously i would tint my car, parents and sisters car for practice before doing any real "customer" cars.

has anyone done it themselves?

tehnick

ʞɔıuɥǝʇ
selling crack makes good money and doesn't require going to class or instruction videos. since you live in the new england area, you might have a better chance of slinging heroin.

97micstang

I think I wouldnt be one of your first 100 customers.

i wouldnt tell people im new to the business obv.. "hey your my first customer, hope all goes well!" wouldnt go over well

i would start off by marketing to high schoolers

kgmx856

Dirtbike Aficionado
Watch unique whips? Idk, go to a tinting shop and ask if you can watch. Obviously dont tell them you want to do it later for money.

(SilentMember)

I've done 15-20 vehicles. Started on my own vehicles and learned via trial and error. The first few times I sucked but learned from the mistakes and now I can make it look pretty good. Even rear windows without a heat gun.

It seems like after I did one guy's car i'd have another one or two asking if they could get their windows done.

Though it still takes me longer than a pro.

(SilentMember)

Btw the best store bought tint i've found is the Gila stuff from autozone. Though it seems to run a little darker than what is stated on the box. I had 20% (advertised on box) check out to 14% on a police tint meter.

steelcity

yea, tinting aint as hard as its made out to be.

i first tinted my friends z24. it wasn't the greatest job, you could definitely tell it wasn't a pro who put it on. the second car i did was my mustang. it took forever like 3 times longer then a shop would take, but it looked real good. no bubbles or anything.

after i told people i did it myself, they wanted me to do there cars. i charged $30 per car and did about a total of 40 cars.

id say the best way to learn is to practice. watch some shops do it, so you learn the basics and don't pick up on any bad habits, then keep practicing before you take on customers.

the hardest part for me was cutting the tint even at the top of the windows. luckily my girlfriend has a very steady hand and did that part for me.

97micstang

some video tutorials will probably help. thats my first purchase.

do they sell already cut tint for different cars? or am i going to be measuring and cutting the tint?

steelcity

^

i have seen pre-cut tint, on ebay and other sites. i don't think i would trust it though. you are ****ed if its off, even by an inch or 2. plus it cost more money. you also do not know the quality of the tint.

it just don't seem worth it to me. even though i had my girlfriend do it for me, most of the time. cutting the tint is the easiest part. i don't have a steady hand at all, and if i took my time i was able to do it.

97micstang

^

i have seen pre-cut tint, on ebay and other sites. i don't think i would trust it though. you are ****ed if its off, even by an inch or 2. plus it cost more money. you also do not know the quality of the tint.

it just don't seem worth it to me. even though i had my girlfriend do it for me, most of the time. cutting the tint is the easiest part. i don't have a steady hand at all, and if i took my time i was able to do it.

thanks for the advice. i will check out autozone for tint

Last time I had to tint windows was on my ex-girlfriends car, all the windows were tinted until someone decided they wanted in the car and broke into it. Fortunately for her I installed a hidden cutoff switch so the car couldn't be started when the switch was turned off. But I ended up retinting the windows for her instead of taking it in. We ordered the same brand of tint the tint shop used when we got them tinted (don't remember the name as it's been a few yrs). I found it to be very simple to retint since the window was out of the car when I did it. lol I can't imagine doing the rear window though. That would suck.

Jarryd

I hate tinting windows but sounds like you're trying to get something rolling like me: I'm starting to learn pdr and hopefully get enough customers to buy the Larrivee guitar I put on layaway that costs 2200 and that's at 50% off. I was playing it in the store and the ebony fretboard and perfect action matched with the handcrafted rosewood body made me sound like a lot better player than I am. After a couple minutes picking around on it I had a small gathering of people in the acoustic room watching me play and coming to me for advice about what to buy before they went to the salesmen. Made my mind up on something to set my mind on towards wanting to buy that is a solid investment but there goes my r6 fund I suppose. I'll get more use out of the guitar though and with the responses I got from people in the store I think it will bring me more fun in the end.

I'm rambling sorry, good luck with learning to tint and wish me luck on my pdr adventures because I want that damn guitar.

Btw, when I get it, I'll have takamine gs330, a hardshell case, and a squire p-bass with a gig bag and a small 15 watt bass amp
for sale. Bass and amp are already for sale; 75+shipping and both are yours.

97micstang

I hate tinting windows but sounds like you're trying to get something rolling like me: I'm starting to learn pdr and hopefully get enough customers to buy the Larrivee guitar I put on layaway that costs 2200 and that's at 50% off. I was playing it in the store and the ebony fretboard and perfect action matched with the handcrafted rosewood body made me sound like a lot better player than I am. After a couple minutes picking around on it I had a small gathering of people in the acoustic room watching me play and coming to me for advice about what to buy before they went to the salesmen. Made my mind up on something to set my mind on towards wanting to buy that is a solid investment but there goes my r6 fund I suppose. I'll get more use out of the guitar though and with the responses I got from people in the store I think it will bring me more fun in the end.

I'm rambling sorry, good luck with learning to tint and wish me luck on my pdr adventures because I want that **** guitar.

Btw, when I get it, I'll have takamine gs330, a hardshell case, and a squire p-bass with a gig bag and a small 15 watt bass amp

what is pdr?

gtownv6

I'm rambling sorry, good luck with learning to tint and wish me luck on my pdr adventures because I want that damn guitar.

No one gives a flying ****.

I'm rambling sorry, good luck with learning to tint and wish me luck on my pdr adventures because I want that **** guitar.

Wow I bet that answers all the OP's questions and then some.
Anyways, OP the best thing for learning tinting is practice, the dvd's would definitely be helpful but won't be as helpful as learning from someone with experience that you can actually ask questions and get answers from.
You might try asking some shops around you and see if any of them have training programs or anything.

Domingo

LT's on a vert