Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Won't start

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Dan R Williams, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Dan R Williams

Dan R Williams New Member

How do I check the fuel pressure on my 2000 3.8l, I 've got a tester gauge what's the pressure with key on and engine off. Please, help me out end of my rope!

2. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

You will not see continuous fuel pressure with the key on and motor not running. Turning the key on only bumps the returnless fuel pump for maybe one second. Fuel pumps will occasionally die. Fuel filters can be clogged as well. The fuel rail pressure sensor will also fail more frequently than pumps and loose their calibration when line pressures spike above 90 psi.

3. Dan R Williams

I've replaced the fuel pump and the filter, it hits with starting fluid, any suggestions?

4. Dan R Williams

I'm hoping it's not the injectors.

5. 6 Shooter

Change the rail pressure sensor.

6. 6 Shooter

Another possibility is the fuel pump relay has gone bad. It is located in the fuse box on the driver's side in the engine bay. Go to owners manual and find the pages for fuses. Read down the list of components controlled by fuses and relays. Find the one related to fuel pump. It is a black square relay, about 1 inch square, that is plugged in. Pull out and replace with part from AutoZone.

7. douglass

douglass Active Member

You could also check the Crank Position Sensor.

8. Dan R Williams

Thanks, I mixed fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank ( 1 bottle with about 4 gal. of gas) . I figure it most have cleaned them up, after about 3 days of cranking a few times and letting it sit it started right up. Side note, the car had been sitting for about 6 years, injectors were probably pretty varnished up.

9. Dan R Williams

Ran fine for a week, now it won't start again, what the hell ideas please?

10. Sam36

Sam36 Active Member

6 years without running..you will certainly have fuel delivery problems... Might have to try to clean the lines, maybe new injectors too. When you first turn the key to 'on' you should hear the fuel pump run for about a second or two, if not then it is not getting power. Of course as you noticed, a good test for fuel problems is to see if it will run by giving it a shot of starting fluid every second or so.