Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wow got my XCal in the mail this morning!!

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by WinterHawk, Apr 25, 2005.

1. WinterHawk

WinterHawk I feel the need.....

Got the SCT X-calibrator - F-Chip Performance Package (thanks Pete!! :thumbup: ) in today and flashed the base 87 octane performance program..

Wow, my butt dyno showed a noticeable difference too!!

Got alot more wheel spin on start though, (gotta learn how to control that..) throttle was right on, no lag or hesitation anymore. When passing at highway speeds, there is no lag or hesitation anymore and it dropped down a gear as soon as ya hit the throttle. Shift points were a lot closer and firmer than stock...

Using the G-Tech RR Pro, here are my initial test results on my 05 Mustang 4.0L V6, before and after:

Before XCal
    0-60 6.4s
    1/4 = 15.145s @ 90.03mph
    HP = 153.0
    TQ = 169.5

After XCal (87 Octane Performance)
    0-60 6.3s
    1/4 = 14.969 @ 90.63
    HP = 161.7
    TQ = 178.9

2. jsheehan

jsheehan Legend Lime Man

Nice numbers. I'm looking forward to this fall when I have the money and can start doing some real mods to my car. I have a feeling a T-lok might help you get more traction off the line and eliminate the wheel spin you are experiencing.

3. WinterHawk

Thanks bro... Yep, wasn't getting as much or no wheel spin before the flash, not complaining, but I got'a learn to drive it differently. I bet the 97 octane program is a blast? But with gas prices right now :(.. yea, I think 3.73 gears and a T-Lok would be my next major mod... but got'a wait and save up.

4. motoman122

motoman122 New Member

you have duals installed and a CAI too right?

i am looking at doing this pretty soon, but i haven't done the duals or CAI yet. however, fixing the shifting and throttle hesitation should be a pretty big gain in performance by itself. heck it's worth the price just to fix those items.

5. jsheehan

jsheehan Legend Lime Man

I think part of the reason you weren't getting any wheel spin before te tune is that stock, the computer controls the electronic throtle so that it doesn't snap wide open when you put your foot to the floor, but open more gradually. You don't get quite as big of a rush of power because of it. I am sure the tune took care of that issue, which means when you floor it now you get more power to the wheels, hence the wheel spin.

On another note, I'm glad to hear you had good results with the 87 octane tune, because that is what I was planning on going with. I don't race a lot, so I can't really justify the extra cost of gas for the 92 octane tune. I really can't wait until I get some mod money. Black lemans stripes, headers, CAI, tune, wider tires, t-lok....this car should be something to contend with. I'm aiming to try to run with stock 99-04 GTs. I might not make it all the way with those mods, but I should get close.

BTW, I think your car would look even more kick ass if the whole hood was blacked out. And the spoiler too. Just my opinion.

6. drew_shipley

drew_shipley Bullitt #5023

Man, if the G-Tech is anywhere near the truth I need to get a panhard bar setup because I just dyno'd my car today and I'm hitting 179 rwhp and 215 rwtq and I don't think I'd run a 14.9 in the 1/4.

7. WinterHawk

Nope, no duals or CAI.. Just a drop in K&N air filter and swapped my single muffler with a GT take off muffler.

I am thinking about this CAI from MMR, http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/05AirFuel.htm but they are a bit pricey right now.

8. WinterHawk

Oh yea, knew why she didn't spin on take off cause of the limiters placed on the car from the factory. She'd spin'em on wet, dirt on pavement, taking off on a corner or power breaking, but now, wow.. and before the XCal, sometimes I'd forget the T/C was on and tried to get on it, and she'd cut back the throttle on me, pretty embarrassing too :( I haven't tried running with the T/C on, as by default I turn it off when I start up now...

Don't race alot either myself, but just wanted enough low end, straight line power, 0-60 or so to spank a few stock V6's and older stock GT's :thumbup:

Thanks, Yea, I want to paint or do something to the rear spoiler, got rear window louvers on order (been waiting since February :()... should have those (black) sometime within the next few weeks or so.

9. WinterHawk

Figuring on the very high side using G-Tech's calculations on the figures it shows, the high estimates for mine if dyno'ed would be around 202.12rwhp & 223.63rwtq. The G-Tech is more like running at a track then a dyno anyway, it takes g force accelation vs rpm, front-end pitch on launch, whether the road is flat, head or tail wind, etc.. real world things, and any of those can screw with the G-Tech results. The G-Tech is only good from a dead stop too... no rolling runs with it..

10. motoman122

motoman122 New Member

WOW......i'm surprised you got those gains with just the Xcal. with the CAI being as open as it is, ( and me not having any choice but to drive in the rain - my only car ) i am a little worried about water getting sucked in the intake thru the CAI. not to mention the costs of the CAI and duals are almost double what the Xcal alone costs, yet most of the gains are from the Xcal.

pretty much everything from "mustang stuff" is pretty pricey, but they have some really cool stuff. i wonder how long before somebody has the front end in the pics in the "07 shelby cobra" thread?

11. WinterHawk

Yea, those HP and torque figures I got with the G-Tech would be higher on a dyno of course, using some calculations and estimates off their web site with my current figures the low/high on a dyno would be somewhere between these figures.

HP = 161.7 (DYNO EST 177.87 - 202.12rwhp)
    TQ = 178.9 (DYNO EST 196.79 - 223.63rwtq)

I'd like to try the 97 octane program soon, but will wait until I get my oil change and a few other maintenance things done at the dealer.