yet another ticking issue

blackenedESP

the past few weeks, i've been noticing a ticking sound. i know it's not a cracked header because i just put on new ceramic long tubes, along with a new h-pipe. so i don't think it's exhaust related but i will check everything just to make sure. i've been driving around to find out when it does and doesn't do it and here is what i've come away with...

it does happen when i start cold but i've read that is normal. it does quiet down when the car warms up (at idle). it seems to happen most when i put the car under moderate to heavy load, like if i push the accelerator halfway down or more. in that situation, it does get louder and faster the more i push it down. but then if i take it easy, and just slowly accelerate and shift, it won't do it at all. i can touch 3,000rpms without a peep if i take it easy. so like i said, it seems like it happens when i work the car a decent amount. the only other thing i've noticed, and i'm not sure of this yet, i'm starting to keep track to see, is i think my gas mileage hasn't been as efficient as it's been in the past. that combined with the ticking, is there any chance it could be a problem with the injectors?

i know there are a tone of ticking threads and stuff and i have read a lot of them, but i don't really remember seeing one with these exact symptoms. i'd appreciate any input for me to check out when i get a chance to. thanks.

MR.BLUESTANG

And your point?
If its half the speed of the engine its something in the vavletrain and if it ticks the same speed as what it says with rpm's then its in the lower end like rod bearing. It could also be an exhaust gasket.

blackenedESP

hmm. i did put new header gaskets on with the headers. i dunno, i'm gonna give it a good look over when i get some time, i hope it's nothing within the engine.

2KSTANGFIRE

My guess would be a header gasket leak. Or a spark plug wire arcing to ground will make a tick also. But it would be there all the time. Have someone else start your car when its cold while you listen with your head under the hood.

blackenedESP

yeah i'll be sure to do that. it wouldn't surprise me if it was something with the spark plugs or wires though. last time i had a ticking sound, 2 spark plugs had worked themselves loose and were just rattling around. i'll tighten all of them, coat the tips in dielectric grease again, and make sure the wires are on nice and snug. see if that does anything, then go from there.

blackenedESP

this ticking is driving me insane, you really hear it when i push the pedal down about halfway and further. so i used a stethoscope, placing it over each valve on the valve covers and noticed the valve for the #1 cylinder (i'm assuming, front-passenger's side) is very noisy, definitely stands out compared to the others. i've tried using a oil detergent that says it helps quiets valve ticking but it did not work. what are my options for remedying the issue?

Jawdoubleyou

You didn't mention that you looked over the exhaust, but you did recently install headers. Anytime you install headers after a couple times of heat cycles (heating up and cooling down) you want to re-torque all your header bolts because they will come loose. Left unchecked long enough and the bolts can even fall out completely.

JTsStang

Boosted V6
hmm...Sounds like an issue I had when justin first tuned my procjarger setup. It was detonation at part throttle. He adjusted the part throttle in the tune and everything is all good.

Have you installed the blower yet??Do you have a wideband?? Is it in boost when the "ticking" is taken place??

blackenedESP

Jawdoubleyou: well i Seafoamed it and did look all over for leaks and didn't see anything coming out of my exhaust (or headers) at all. also, my car BARELY smoked at all. definitely not the bigs clouds of white smoke i see online and stuff.

JTsStang: no i don't have my ProCharger on yet but he did tune my car for my T5 swap. it happens whenever i put the pedal down halfway and further, anytime i put some sudden stress on the engine. i can slowly get up to speed and have it not happen, or at least to where i can hear it. but when i hit the gas, it is very noticeable. maybe i'll email Justin about it.

blackenedESP

no i have not checked oil pressure and i honestly have no idea what my timing is. how do i go about checking the timing? and should i just get a mechanical gauge for the oil pressure?

Jawdoubleyou

While I don't doubt that you didn't see anything when you sprayed the exhaust with seafoam, its still easy to go over all the header bolts one more time with a wrench. Your symptoms sound like a small exhaust leak where when your at part throttle you don't have as much exhaust pressure and at higher engine speeds and throttle opening you have much more exhaust pressure. I mean definitly check the timing and O/P but i had alot of cars come in with exhaust leaks and it was just that the owners never re-torqued the bolts.

blackenedESP

i will definitely go over my exhaust connections and what not again just to make sure. but what gets me is the sound i hear over the valve for the #1 cylinder. there is definitely something with that (compared to the others).

BUTCH86

no i have not checked oil pressure and i honestly have no idea what my timing is. How do i go about checking the timing? And should i just get a mechanical gauge for the oil pressure?

yes i dont trust the electrical guages they usually only take 5 to 7 lbs to make them work.. Whats the mileage on the motor.. I read you hear a noise at valve cover. I use a wood dowel against my ear when listening for vibrations or noises.

Go over all the exhaust bolts first. K.i.s.s. Keep it simple stupid is what i always say to myself. Alot of the time its something simples so check the cheap easy things first. Exhaust tighten bolts look for black soot marks on the exhaust pipe or nearby parts then work on from there.

DID YOU SEA FOAM THE MOTOR BY RUNNING THE CAR AND PULLING THE VACUUM LINE AND ALLOWING IT TO SUCK UP THE SEA FOAM? YOU SHOULD SEE A TON OF SMOKE. THE REASON WHY I ASK IF YOU SEA FOAMED THE ENGINE WAS DUE TO THE TICKING YOU HEAR MAYBE CAUSED BY CARBON BUILD UP ON THE PISTON OR COMBUSTION CHAMBER IGNITING THE GASSES BEFORE THE PLUG FIRES OFF. JUST A THOUGHT.

HOPE SOME OF THIS HELPS

blackenedESP

my mileage is about about 37,000. i will check the exhaust the next chance i get, probably saturday. when i Seafoamed it i put it in my gas tank and crank case, i did not let a vacuum tube suck it in. should i get another can and do it that way?

BUTCH86

my mileage is about about 37,000. i will check the exhaust the next chance i get, probably saturday. when i Seafoamed it i put it in my gas tank and crank case, i did not let a vacuum tube suck it in. should i get another can and do it that way?

Yes i usually put some into the gas tank and then on my bronco and mustang i had pulled the big vacuum line off the brake booster with the vehicle running and stuck the end off the brake booster into the can and let it suck it out slowly. that way it runs through the entire system, and trust me you will see smoke. it lasts for maybe 10 minutes but if you have any carbon build up it will burn it off hence maybe helping fight detonation. Doing it that way really helped clear up alot of issues with my bronco.

blackenedESP

ok, i'll get another can it try it that way as well. also, i emailed Justin at VMP and described the problem. his response was just that if it happens at idle, it's not pinging. which it does happen at idle (when i had stethoscope to it). just gets louder when the engine is under some load. so as of right now, i'm gonna Seafoam my car again, making sure to go through a vacuum line and then i'm gonna go over my exhaust, tightening everything up. that's all i really know what to look at right now.

BUTCH86

ok, i'll get another can it try it that way as well. also, i emailed Justin at VMP and described the problem. his response was just that if it happens at idle, it's not pinging. which it does happen at idle (when i had stethoscope to it). just gets louder when the engine is under some load. so as of right now, i'm gonna Seafoam my car again, making sure to go through a vacuum line and then i'm gonna go over my exhaust, tightening everything up. that's all i really know what to look at right now.

The easiest way of checking for an exhaust leak is put the car up on stands securely and then start the car and have a friend get a shop towel and place it over the tailpipe the exhaust leak will the become more pronounced as it comes out of the crack or hole..

TechGirl1414

Airbrusher
The easiest way of checking for an exhaust leak is put the car up on stands securely and then start the car and have a friend get a shop towel and place it over the tailpipe the exhaust leak will the become more pronounced as it comes out of the crack or hole..
thats how I found mine.. right at the first cat.. a week before it literally fell off while I was driving. I have pics to prove it lol

BUTCH86

yes its the easiest way i know to check for exhaust leaks figured id pass it along to help someone down the road.